Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 4, 2011   #1
robrpb
Tomatovillian™

Default Pond Basket size for earthtainer

I am in the process of building an earthtainer III. Since I live in the West Palm Beach, FL (southeast Florida) area I was wondering if I should use a larger pond basket than the 5"x5"x4" one in the construction guide because of the heat and evaporation in this area. I noticed in the video the basket used in the earthtainer II video the basket was square and appeared much larger than the 5" round one listed in the earthtainer II construction guide. Thanks.
robrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

rob,

A flat out: "No". Use the size recommended in the Guide. In fact, with all the rain you get in S. Florida, I would be concerned about your plants getting TOO much water. Be sure to use a well draining Combo Mix for your locale so that the roots stay aerated.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #3
robrpb
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo for your response.

I was thinking I would keep the tomatoes on a patio under roof. What are your thoughts about that? Do you think tomatoes would withstand the heat and sun of a south Florida summer?

Also, what combo mix would you recommend for good aeration? Thanks.

Rob
robrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

rob,

I wouldn't set the plants in a covered patio where they didn't get a lot of Sun. You will need to let their leaves get 5 to 7 hours of direct Sun per day. Anything less, and they will become leggy. I use a 70% Coolaroo shade cloth to cover over the top of the plants, come mid-Summer (you will likely need to do that months earlier in S. Florida).

The 3:2:1 Combo Mix should work well for you. You may want to bump up the Perlite percentage a bit if indeed the 'Tainer is out in the rain. You want the surface water from the rains to drain through the Combo Mix, and into the water reservoir.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote