Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 13, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Rosovyi Velikan - The Pink Giant

I grew it last year, but this is my first one this year, and here's the review.

This one checks in at 19.4 ounces and is typical of its production. It is a pink tomato and that should be a clue to its taste. Seems like pink tomatoes just taste better. JMO!!

The fruit are mostly shaped like the one in the picture - round and oblate. This one has some minor cracking around the stem end due to the weather, but it was not enough to cause rotting in the cracks.

All in all, the plant is producing lots of fruit and the taste is very good. I think this one will return to my garden for a third year in a row.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RosovyiVelikan3.JPG (173.9 KB, 208 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 13, 2015 at 05:44 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I knew that Velikan meant large and that Rosovyi meant pink and to confirm that I went to tania's site and couldn't find that.

Frustrated as I was I Googled it and found that it had a longer more proper name, if you will;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...rozovyi+tomato

Who knew, not me.

I've grown lotsof varieties with Velikan as part of the name and they have turned out to be very large, often a couple of pounds and up depending on the season.

Carolyn
Old July 13, 2015   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

It was sent to me as Rozovyi Velikan. The data in Tania's base was taken from the commercial seed packet. So now, I don't know what to think.

Which one do I have? Are they the same? Or are they different?

Help!!!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 13, 2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old July 13, 2015   #4
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
It was sent to me as Rozovyi Velikan. I had checked Tania's site and didn't find it either. I am now correcting my databases and if you can, correct the title of my thread, please.

Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi it is then - Siberian Giant Pink.
That is correct translation. (I speak Russian and can verify)

there is another http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Rozovyi_Velikan

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 13, 2015 at 05:42 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ted, you deleted the post where you asked if I could change the thread title although it appeared again from a quote.

When you decide what you want to call what you have, please post here and I'll ask Michael to do it and here's why.

With certain manipulations here, as global Mod I havepermissions for all of them but I found out last week when trying to delete a post of my own that I couldn't do it and that's b'c what I know as my currant password here doesn't work, and one needs to use a password to do that.

The issue of my getting a new password has not been resolved. Mischka sent me instructions, actually one that's sent out to anyone who wants to change their password.

I must have deleted it and I'm not going to ask again, which is why I'll let Michael do it until I have a new password. To do most other moderating here I don't need it.

Carolyn
Old July 13, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here on the right hand side is the Russian commercial packet I received. So, those of you who read Russian please tell me what I should call the one I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (59.3 KB, 184 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 13, 2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Carolyn, we posted at the same time.
Old July 13, 2015   #7
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Rozovyi Velikan
Pink Giant

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

In the confusion, I had forgotten that I added my data from last year to Tatianna's database. I actually ended up sending the packets and half the seeds in them to Tatianna. She is such a nice lady.

Well, Carolyn, I don't think I want to change anything after all. Maybe, just maybe, there is more than one variety that shares those words in its name. I did note that the Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi has average fruit that is a bit smaller than the one I'm growing.

Perhaps Siberian Giant Pink and Pink Giant are truly different. I really don't know. I have to depend on those others who might be able to sort this out. The one thing I DO know is that this is an excellent tomato that will be grown again here in my garden.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 14, 2015   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Looks good (I love pinks by the way!)
Wonder what the other packets contain - the one next to it that says something like 'Sachar' looks like a black variety. Are you growing any of them?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey Narnian. Actually, there were 7 pictures of the Russian packets like the one above. Each had 4 packets for a total of 28 packets. I'll have to check my data, but my intentions have always been to grow them all at least once. Of course, the ones that taste good get an invitation to an encore performance.

Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (253.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (59.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.JPG (249.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (257.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0005.JPG (250.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.JPG (249.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0007.JPG (255.2 KB, 127 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 14, 2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old July 14, 2015   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ha! You are well stocked, sir. Some of those I can recognize, others not.
Hope that you'll give us an extensive review on each one of those.
It was the purple/black looking that caught my eye, Sachar Koritchnyevi... something, from the company Sedek, I am a total loser for black / pink varieties
Old July 14, 2015   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

That's only the ones where I received the seed packs. I am exploring the vaarious Russian varieties that I've gained access to. I believe that Tatianna's Tomatobase is the best source for information and seeds.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 14, 2015   #13
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

There are so many commercial Russian varieties, not all of them are even mentioned in the Tomatobase. Many gardeners from here go nuts when they get access to all the treasures available in the former Soviet Union.. I don't quite get the lure of many red tomatoes, but I might be tempted by some of the pinks and yellows
Old July 14, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Here on the right hand side is the Russian commercial packet I received. So, those of you who read Russian please tell me what I should call the one I have.
Ted, I looked at those commercial packs but could not see the companies that distributed them and here's why I ask.

Several years ago I was sent seeds for a Russian variety called Flamingo. If you go to Tania's page for it this is whatyou see;

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/F...b=General_Info

But mine were in a commercial pack from Russia. At the time I was trying to confirm for one of my seed producers, from photos he sent to me ,that what he got was right for the variety.

I Googled my heart out, I ended up several times at e-bay where there several persons who sold Russian varieties, and the descriptions for this one were all over the place.

I finally forwarded the pictures to Tania that had been sent to me and she had just as much trouble as I had.

All to say that Tania, Andrey in Belarus and Clara in Germany have told me that not all Russian seed companies can be trusted. Pictures on the seed pack may in no way describe what the seeds inside will give you.

So I'm passing this along to you with respect to the other commercial packs that you have.

Clara had referred me to a wonderful site in Estonia that she had dealt with for several years, and she does know the reliabiity of most of the Russian seed companies, as do Tania and Andrey, as I said above,and maybe more who post here as well.

I went to that Estonian site And found great varieties from Russia and elsewhere, LOTS of them, Clara requested them for me b'c everything was in Estonian and Russian and Clara is fluent in Russian and then she sent them to me and they are out for seed production this summer, fingers crossed, since I know that weather has been and still is a major problem with the plants for two of my seed producers.

Carolyn
Old July 14, 2015   #15
clara
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, WAY too much honor for me!!! I have learned Russian, yes, 5 years at school in an additional course and I think I was quite good, but I have forgotten a lot - it's decades ago! So no more fluent Russian, sigh... but at least enough to do the transcriptions from Cyrillic to Latin characters and to understand A BIT, but only A BIT!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote