Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 20, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Maiden's Gold - 2015

Here's the frist one out of the garden. For some reason, i am having a year of extra large tomatoes. This one is over 2 pounds. It'll take a few days on the counter for it to turn to its natural orange color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaidensGold2015a.JPG (312.4 KB, 134 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #2
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
I've noticed that you are posting really big tomatoes and your screen name is "ContainerTed." Are you growing these in containers. If so, what kind of container?
Thanks
Holly
HollyinNNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinNNV View Post
Ted,
I've noticed that you are posting really big tomatoes and your screen name is "ContainerTed." Are you growing these in containers. If so, what kind of container?
Thanks
Holly
Holly, I selected my handle when I lived in Georgia. I raised everything in containers then, with as many as 80+ buckets, tubs, and whatevers. In 2010, I moved here to this 5 acre plot about 30 miles north of Knoxville, TN. Here, I can have as large an "in-ground" garden as I want. This year, my garden is 102' by 34'. And, I have 7 containers that are kept up next to the house.

But, the number of large tomatoes I'm encountering this year is quite unusual. Previous years found me harvesting average size fruit and wishing I could get some "big'uns". This year, everything is coming in large. I have 37 fruits in the house right now that are over a pound in weight. There are dozens of green ones still in the garden. Even the Loopy Dwarf that I just posted is nearly twice the size of the last fruit harvested.

I don't know why I'm getting so many big ones, but the smile on my face is also larger than normal, too.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 20, 2015   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I don't know why I'm getting so many big ones, but the smile on my face is also larger than normal, too.
How much rain did you get in April/May/June?

I suspect, like us, a lot more than normal..... makes for big fruit, but it has also watered down mine to nearly tasteless orbs.....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Lee, we had a VERY DRY (most of) June. And then, my brother did a rain dance and the monsoon arrived. It has been VERY WET for the last three weeks. While the flavors have been a little bit affected, about half have not. Any that have will wake up with a few grains of salt - a very few.

I will agree that the rain has helped with the fruit sizes, but my perception right now is that the whole garden is producing at a size gain of at least 20%. Even my cabbages are coming out at weights of 6-7 pounds fully dressed and trimmed. Normally, a 5 pounder gets bragging rights. My Clemson Spineless Okra is also noticeably larger. And the Loopy Dwarf that grew from seed saved from a 4.5 oz first fruit are over half a pound.

Only the Blue Lake Beans are the same size they usually are.

I don't know what it is, but I'm loving it so far.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; July 20, 2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old July 20, 2015   #6
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Knoxville? I lived in Gray (outside Johnson City) about 20 years ago; back then it was a population of 400. Probly more now.

And what a nice fat tom!
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #7
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I'm having the same experience as Lee, Ted. Lots of rain and larger fruit
with somewhat diluted taste. And, like yours, a little salt brings the taste back!
Not as nice a year as '14 but we're fortunate not to have worse problems. I'm enjoying your photos!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ted, do you have a nuclear power station nearby? I hope you don't! Otherwise that could be the reason for your giants...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Clara, the DW and I do a lot of shopping in beautiful downtown Oak Ridge, TN. It's only about a 25 minute trip to get there. BTW, they still don't let folks drill water wells anywhere close to that town. And, they strongly recommend folks not eat the fish from the river there.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 20, 2015   #10
clara
Tomatovillian™

And there has never been a radioactive contaminated cloud? You know the stations don't always tell us about "incidents" that we ought to know.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #11
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Holly, I selected my handle when I lived in Georgia. I raised everything in containers then, with as many as 80+ buckets, tubs, and whatevers. In 2010, I moved here to this 5 acre plot about 30 miles north of Knoxville, TN. Here, I can have as large an "in-ground" garden as I want. This year, my garden is 102' by 34'. And, I have 7 containers that are kept up next to the house.

But, the number of large tomatoes I'm encountering this year is quite unusual. Previous years found me harvesting average size fruit and wishing I could get some "big'uns". This year, everything is coming in large. I have 37 fruits in the house right now that are over a pound in weight. There are dozens of green ones still in the garden. Even the Loopy Dwarf that I just posted is nearly twice the size of the last fruit harvested.

Dear Ted,
Wow, you had a huge container garden!! I can't imagine keeping up with 80+ containers.

Sounds like your new garden is doing very well. Isn't it funny how so many of the tomatoes are large ones. I'm happy for you!
Holly
HollyinNNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
I'm having the same experience as Lee, Ted. Lots of rain and larger fruit
with somewhat diluted taste.
Same here.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote