Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 12, 2015   #1
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Beef 8/12/2015

Here you go folks . My Big Beef plant . I'm in south western Pennsylvania .
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big beef 002 (640x480).jpg (269.8 KB, 211 views)
justplainmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #2
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful! My first year growing Big Beef. Loving it!
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #3
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

Nice ! I have heard so many good things on here about Big Beef I have put it on my 2016 grow list.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #4
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

I have to say I'm impressed with these Big Beef plants . Its my first year for them as well . they came on about a week or so earlier then my Better Boy . Almost perfect tomato's . My Better Boys are doing great as well . But I'm highly disappointed in my Mister Stripey . All are Bonnie Plants . What are you folks growing for your sandwich tomato's ?

mike h

Last edited by justplainmike; August 12, 2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old August 14, 2015   #5
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I had real good luck with Big Beef plants this year also. Probably gonna be a staple in my garden in the future.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #6
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
I had real good luck with Big Beef plants this year also. Probably gonna be a staple in my garden in the future.
Man I love them . I will be growing Big Beef from now on . What a producer !!
But I'm still looking for a really big tomato for single slice sandwich's .Mr. Stripey is not coming back .
jpm.
Old August 14, 2015   #7
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

It looks great, loaded with fruit and definitely NOT HUGE - a big plus. Is it growing in a HD bucket? If so, was that bucket made into a SWC? I can't tell but do you have it staked at all. What are you using for fertilizer?

I've never grow BB but just seeing your pic makes me want to try it this fall.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #8
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
It looks great, loaded with fruit and definitely NOT HUGE - a big plus. Is it growing in a HD bucket? If so, was that bucket made into a SWC? I can't tell but do you have it staked at all. What are you using for fertilizer?

Hi Barb ,
Its in a HD bucket yes . The plant I would save is about 5 1/2 ' tall . I have it staked and tied yes . And its been a huge producer ! I have not picked any suckers off either . Basically I just let it do its own thing just to see what happens . The bucket has 5 holes in the bottom and the bottom has a layer of small river stone from HD .About as big as a quarter .
I fertilize with just the plain old Miracle Grow plant food once a week .I have to water twice daily .In FL you might have to really keep a close eye on them because of the intense sun and heat !!
jpm

Last edited by justplainmike; August 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old August 14, 2015   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainmike View Post
I have to say I'm impressed with these Big Beef plants . Its my first year for them as well . they came on about a week or so earlier then my Better Boy . Almost perfect tomato's . My Better Boys are doing great as well . But I'm highly disappointed in my Mister Stripey . All are Bonnie Plants . What are you folks growing for your sandwich tomato's ?

mike h
My main sandwich tomato is Earl's Faux. I grew 5 plants of it this year and was not disappointed. Indian Stripe was more productive for me than the typical year for Cherokee Purple. You're unlikely to encounter either EF or IS at a local nursery, but there are tons of varieties worth growing. Looks like you're southeast of Pittsburg. Aren't there a ton of local nurseries with a variety of plants? I've been in that part of the country and I remember driving past at least 3 nurseries I'd wished I had time to stop and visit. I mean heck you're less than 2 hours from where Brandywines were first grown.

Disappointment in the Mr Stripey plants from Bonnie's is pretty common. If you google it, you'll find countless people who get a "bull" plant with zero flowers/tomatoes. You'd think with all those complaints they'd switch seeds to something else. Maybe you'll get lucky and find Lucky Cross or Big Rainbow at a local shop.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #10
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Well yes there are many nurseries here in western pa , but the old fella that I bought all my gardening products from passed away last winter and I have not found a place yet to buy my plants . I bought my plants from him for 30 years .And yes I'm 38 miles south east of Pittsburgh .
jpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
My main sandwich tomato is Earl's Faux. I grew 5 plants of it this year and was not disappointed. Indian Stripe was more productive for me than the typical year for Cherokee Purple. You're unlikely to encounter either EF or IS at a local nursery, but there are tons of varieties worth growing. Looks like you're southeast of Pittsburg. Aren't there a ton of local nurseries with a variety of plants? I've been in that part of the country and I remember driving past at least 3 nurseries I'd wished I had time to stop and visit. I mean heck you're less than 2 hours from where Brandywines were first grown.

Disappointment in the Mr Stripey plants from Bonnie's is pretty common. If you google it, you'll find countless people who get a "bull" plant with zero flowers/tomatoes. You'd think with all those complaints they'd switch seeds to something else. Maybe you'll get lucky and find Lucky Cross or Big Rainbow at a local shop.
Old August 14, 2015   #11
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

I'm wondering if any of you have given these a shot ?

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/gar...s/200803010163

jpm
Old August 14, 2015   #12
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I've noticed that growing big indeterminates in 5 gallon buckets helps keep them a manageable size, which is a big help if you have to spray them. I wonder if they get huge in the ground?

Quote:

Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #13
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
I've noticed that growing big indeterminates in 5 gallon buckets helps keep them a manageable size, which is a big help if you have to spray them. I wonder if they get huge in the ground?
I can't grow tomatoes in the ground at all due to nematodes - so it is EarthBoxes or Root Pouches for me. I do have a few HD SWC.

Mike - Thanks for the info re: your BB. Forgot to add that was a cool story - Ginger (Marsha) definitely grew it during the spring b/c I have seeds from her seed swap. I think she loved it.

Last edited by Barb_FL; August 14, 2015 at 05:37 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #14
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

Here you go folks . Now you can get an idea of the average size of the Big Beef tomato's I'm getting off this plant . They are a bit larger then my Better Boys . And no cracking at all .
jpm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Beef 001 (800x766).jpg (337.3 KB, 121 views)
Old August 14, 2015   #15
justplainmike
Tomatovillian™

I would like to talk to her about how they did for her .
jpm

Quote:
I can't grow tomatoes in the ground at all due to nematodes - so it is EarthBoxes or Root Pouches for me. I do have a few HD SWC.

Mike - Thanks for the info re: your BB. Forgot to add that was a cool story - Ginger (Marsha) definitely grew it during the spring b/c I have seeds from her seed swap. I think she loved it.