Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2015   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Empire Hybrid Tomato - Taste Test

Well, I finally got to taste this one. While I'm always skeptical regarding Hybrids, I have to give this one a solid "thumbs up". On my scale of 1-10 for taste, this one rates a solid 8.5 plus. I tasted it without salt, and with salt, and both without any cooling other than it was in the house on our kitchen island. My DW, who likes tomatoes, but can't take a lot of the acid, even said that it was the best she had tasted in a long time. Her normal is to have a tomato/mayo sandwich. Her approval of this variety is significant.

It was so good for me, that I didn't take any pictures of the sliced fruit. i'll do that with the next one. I can say that the one I cut up and ate was evenly ripe throughout and the color was consistent, even around the stem area. Both the skin and the flesh were a deep crimson color. The aroma of the cut fruit easily gave away the sweetness and the tartness of the taste.

Sometime this summer I will procure some seed for this one and grow it next year as well. I don't usually recommend hybrids, but with the taste of this one, I feel an exception is warranted.

Here, again, is the 9 ounce first harvest from the mature plant I purchased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0002.JPG (216.5 KB, 168 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed your review Ted. Any comments on production yet?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Interesting,hadn't heard of Empire before. I have no qualms with hybrids myself so I may have to try this next year. Thanks for the excellent review.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #4
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

Looks good! I think it may be a commercially bred determinate with decent disease resistance. How tall is the mature plant?
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Dusty - With what is showing on the plant, I have to give it an "average" rating on production. It's been exceptionally dry here and I've had some blossom drop due to high temps and dry ground on all my plants. But, it will still beat Brandywine.

BigVan - I also don't have any problems with a few hybrids in the garden every year. Start yours early enough to get larger plants by the time plantout dates arrive. The taste on this one is good enough to have me considering the 'purchase of hybrid seeds". (Ohhhh! that was hard to say).

Mike - I have a single stake on the plant right now and it is approaching the 4 foot tall mark. Since purchase, it has "bushed out" quite a bit. And, I don't do any pruning. So far, I don't have any signs of disease in the garden - only a little bit of critter evidence.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old June 18, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Still tastes very good

Okay, I have evaluated the second fruit which was somewhat "heart" in shape. It still is a fantastic taste - strong tomato flavor and, yet, very sweet and mild. I don't usually give any kind of recommendation for commercial hybrids, but this one - this time - in my garden - this year - is exceptional. It's good enough to have me seeking seed for next year.

The subject was an 8 ounce somewhat heart shaped fruit that was on the countertop for about 4 days after harvesting. It was ripe all the way thru and very consistent in texture and color. I ate the whole thing with and without a touch of salt and it was 9 out of 10 in both cases.

Here's the pictures. The scale is metric only and shows 230 grams or just a touch above 8 ounces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (95.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (123.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.JPG (126.4 KB, 46 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch