Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 20, 2010   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default TRUE southern butter beans

I'm trying to find a name for the best variety of very small, not too thck, super sweet, creamy, light colered, soft, butter beans.. the kind that are no more than1/2 inch long. Here, that does not mean mealy, flavorless, light or dark Lima beans, but something obviously in the Lima family. It's NOT Fordhooks, speckled, or even the solid dark colored beans. These are rather a southern delicasy with a mild sweet flavor and creamy texture that is smoth and delicious. NOT meaning to start a debate, but, rather, simply looking for a name for you folks who had your grandmother's butterbeans of the type described.

The same could apply to zipper cream peas, but will leave that for another day. Again, not merely a zipper, crowder, or field pea, but something delicious, tender, sweet, and NOT mealy..more oblong than round, not large, and not shelly beans as these cream peas are a zipper style pea/bean/legume.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2010   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Are you talking about the Dixie butter pea [butterpea]? It comes white [or brown] if I remember right. Creamy, smooth, buttery. I've grown white butterpeas here in Ohio. I think it's a cross between a lima bean and field pea. Some years ago I ordered the seeds from a place in Alabama.
Old March 20, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Are you talking about the Dixie butter pea [butterpea]? It comes white [or brown] if I remember right. Creamy, smooth, buttery. I've grown white butterpeas here in Ohio. I think it's a cross between a lima bean and field pea. Some years ago I ordered the seeds from a place in Alabama.
Thanks Earl. I should probably have separated the post into two parts, as I'm searching both for the very small limas that I have always seen and enjoyed as butterbeans.

But, am also searching for that which does seem to be a cross in that it is not round like a crowder pea, but a cream color and somewhat oblong, but grows in a husk rather like crowder peas. It may well be the butterpea you referenced. The whole pea husk was about six to nine inches long and unzipped like a true zipper pea. Unlike a climbing or pole lima, it grew as a bush bean. Will research by the name you kindly provided.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2010   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

WHITE DIXIE BABY BUTTERBEANS

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/beans.htm
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote