Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 13, 2011   #1
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Dwarfs Inside ?

Would like info from someone who grow these inside?
The good and bad.
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean during the normal growing season, or over winter? I have a south-facing sunroom in which I generally leave my wintered-over cuttings (which usually includes a dwarf or two) all year. As you can imagine, this being Alaska, they don't get much light in the winter and I don't provide supplemental light. It's also cool in that room during the winter. So basically they remain dormant until early spring and they really take off. During the normal growing season they perform very well indoors and produce loads of fruit.

Hope this helps.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I grow mini dwarf tomatoes through the winter but not the ones like the dwarf project ones as they grow too tall for my set up. All are less then 18 inches.

Is this what you need to know or are you talking about the taller ones?

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #4
casserole
Tomatovillian™

I am interested in the type that you grow.Could you enlughten me?
Old July 13, 2011   #5
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine Anne,

I too am interested to find out what compact varieties have produced well for you indoors. Last Winter I tried growing Tiny Tim indoors. The plant started out well but died before producing any fruit. This year I might try Red Robin.

Thanks,

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi I grow under lights as I face North and have very little light coming in. My light fitting is 3 storey one , each level has a three light fitting in it.Each level also has a 4 inch mini fan on which goes on part of the day to give some movement to the plants. The room is just regular room temp they are grown in my home.However in the beginning it was just a shop flourescent hung on chains.It worked just as well as far as I can remember, the fitting I have now just looks better!!

I have grown many types, including the two you mentioned.

Tatianastomatoes has a good selection of seeds and has tons of info as to which do well under lights in winter, perhaps you could look there for detailed info on ones that you may like.

There is also a thread just started on here that gives a good list of dwarfs and I believe the intention is to put heights next to them.

They come in a few different colours so something for everyone.

I also grow salad greens through the winter and mini lettuce etc. For these I use the plastic bottoms of fridges, the things we would put fruit etc in, which fit well under my lights and give me a good depth of soil.

I grow in Sunshine 4 or Promix and in the beginning I add a little all purpose organic fertiliser made by Galia. Later on I give a little liquid feed in the water for the developing fruit.

When I first started to do this years ago I found the biggest problem was unpollinated flowers then the fan was suggested by a friend of a friend who grew other things in his house.....mmm... it worked very well and is no longer a problem.

Which are best.. truthfully I like most of them, the flavours and yeild change but the small plants fascinate me and I enjoy the challenge when everything outside is bare. There are a couple |I would not grow again but I would have to dig out old notes if you want that info.

If you have any specific questions I will do my best.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #7
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Thanks ,could you elaborate on what tastes and yields fairly well.
Also if you could what you would recomend. If you could post pics of your set up.
Most important what would you NOT grow again?
Thanks
Old July 15, 2011   #8
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

You'll need some sort of grow light, unless you get 4-6 hours of solid light through windows/doors.

With a decent grow light (under $100), you can grow 2-3 full size dwarfs, or 3-4 smaller yielding dwarfs. Of course, if you spend more, you can grow more, and coincidentally, the power bill will take a spike. I hardly notice the 100w T5 light I have now, at the end of the month. At some point, I'd like to pick up a 150w HPS that one can acquire for roughly $80 shipped.

I have a 2' T5-CF light that throws off 10,000 lumens. Enough for a 2x2 space, roughly. Paid $65 shipped. There's also an entry level 150w HPS light that throws off 16,000 lumens, and is probably enough for 2.5x2.5 or 3x3.
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad I saw this thread as I'm planning to have an indoor garden in my living room lol.... I have been unsure of what type, how much lighting as that is the only problem i forsee . Off to look for lights!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote