Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 11, 2011   #1
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

Default Earthbox problems

I am starting to dabble in SWC's with 3 Earthboxes. I planted some fall tomatoes in the EB's, in traditional containers with a 3-2-1 mix, and in the raised beds. The tomatoes in the EB's look the most unhappy and one I already pulled. I also had 3 jalapenos in one EB and 2 golden zebra squash in the other. One of the jalapenos died today and the squash are doing so-so. They have all been on concrete under 50% white shade cloth and I followed the directions that came with the EB. I used Sunshine Organic potting mix (75-85% peat, perlite, dolomite lime, and an organice wetting agent [yucca extract]) and the dolomite and fertilizer that came in the kit. Anybody have any idea what's wrong with the tomato? Could the soil be too hot (been over 100 since July 2). I'm thinking of transferring the yellow pear to a traditional container.

Here's some pictures that may help:

Sunpride and Yellow pear in EB.jpg

Sunpride in EB.jpg

sunpride roots.jpg
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #2
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

It appears to me you are not wicking. Water from the top a gallon or so and see if they perk up.

Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #3
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

The soil seems moist but not soggy; I was thinking it may actually have too much moisture? I scooped some of the upper most soil out and squeezed it; the mix held together initially but then fell apart easily with a light touch and doesn't seem to compact easily at all. I wasn't able to squeeze water out. I dug a little deeper (more than half way) and scooped some mix out. It had more moisture and I was able to get some water out if I squeezed it very hard. I think it's wicking well enough?
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #4
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I have 22 earthboxes and if the temp was a hundred here in Florida or even 92 and up, then I would never even set out plants.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #5
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
I have 22 earthboxes and if the temp was a hundred here in Florida or even 92 and up, then I would never even set out plants.
I had an Earthbox for quite a few years, but always had issues when it got good and hot down here. (Louisiana) . But, I have friends, including the one I gave my Earthbox to, who swear by them when used under a patio with partial sun.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #6
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Mine all do well here and will keep plants upright instead of going South when in the ground. But this is Florida and they were developed here and only an hour from my home actually. Just picked up 11 more over the weekend!! Rules of gardening do not apply here!!!! lol
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #7
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default Tapla

Google.....Al's container garden. The man is sharp and extremely nice.

Ken

It possible you might need to wick some of the water out of the bottom and top water lightly until the roots are better established.

Last edited by Ken4230; August 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Too big of a hurry
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #8
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

My hat is off to anyone having success in this Texas heat. I planted very early varieties (started Jan. 25and planted Mar. 15 with protection) and was still cut short by 100° temps in APRIL! We've had 51 straight days of 100°+ temps.

Crispy in Tomato Hell, TX. (Wichita Falls)
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #9
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I had tomatoes in Earth Boxes in East Tennessee a few years back...we had an August with temps of 95 or so for roughly the entire month. They had shade from trees in the morning and later in the day (from four o'clock on); and all were a good seven or eight feet tall, loaded with 'maters. I have EB's now that get sun all day in New England...not quite as tall; but still loaded with tomatoes. We had quite a few days in the 90's, with a couple that touched 100. Partial shade might help in these areas with persistent heat. Personally; I love my Earth Boxes.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #10
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
I had tomatoes in Earth Boxes in East Tennessee a few years back...we had an August with temps of 95 or so for roughly the entire month. They had shade from trees in the morning and later in the day (from four o'clock on); and all were a good seven or eight feet tall, loaded with 'maters. I have EB's now that get sun all day in New England...not quite as tall; but still loaded with tomatoes. We had quite a few days in the 90's, with a couple that touched 100. Partial shade might help in these areas with persistent heat. Personally; I love my Earth Boxes.
Oh, I've used the shade cloth and misting also. Been using EBs for 5 years now.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote