Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 5, 2011   #1
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Default Pine Bark Fines - size and quality?

Spring is here, hardening off my container varieties, and re-using some of the last year's container medium.

I usually do well with mixture of perlite, potting mix (stagreen), little compost and little mushroom compost. But it does get somewhat compacted toward mid/late season.

This year is the first time adding pine bark fines as many suggest and use with success. But for the life of me, can't find any in the local stores! Everything I looked at - either huge chunks or from what I can see, about 50/50 mix of bark and wood, so nothing suitable to buy in bags (checked Walmart, HD and Lowe's)

I stopped by a local place that does mulch and topsoil, and this is what they have in bulk:

There are still some smaller wood chips, but majority is actual bark. From your experience, what you see above in terms of particle size and content - is it suitable for container mix (to add to the other ingredients)? Non-SWC

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I think it's o.k., but not ideal. The variety of sizes will not provide as much aeration as uniformly sized chips. Locally, I've found the "right" stuff at Home Depot, Menards, and even K-Mart. I've also found the "wrong" stuff at the same places and packaged in the same exact bags.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Default Bark Fines

Dmitry. I don't know how to add a link, but if you search for this post by
Raybo. Raybo's (Leak-proof) Inntainers-Doing it in the Bedroom (pics). Go
to page 6.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #4
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Ok, not giving up yet, totally forgot about the Kmart. BTW, what is the brand of the "right" stuff you were able to find and maybe specific name of the product? I'm willing to drive to another county if I have to!

Linda - I'll give it a search, thank you! I remember Raybo used a product from Home Depot before branded as "Earth Grow", but our stores don't carry it...

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
D
Old April 5, 2011   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I think it's o.k., but not ideal. The variety of sizes will not provide as much aeration as uniformly sized chips. Locally, I've found the "right" stuff at Home Depot, Menards, and even K-Mart. I've also found the "wrong" stuff at the same places and packaged in the same exact bags.

Agreed, happened to me this year. Same place, same price, different stuff
Old April 5, 2011   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes at the box stores, you will see bags of what is referred to as "landscaping mix". I've never cared to use that stuff for mulch in perennial beds, because if it rains a lot it floats everywhere. It's bark fines.

However, I think it might be suitable for what you are trying to do if you find the right kind. I guess, look for a bag on the pallet with a hole in it to see if you can determine if what is in the bag is finely shredded and the pieces are fairly uniform in size.

Sorry, can't think of a particular brand to recommend.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I can't remember the brand name on the bag - I'm sorry. I think it was labeled as "shredded pine bark," but I've seen similar product labeled as "soil conditioner" and "pine bark fines." I have a feeling that the big bag stores probably source this type of product regionally. So, what I can get here in NW Indiana is going to be different than what you can get in Virginia.

I would think that in your region it would be relatively common because of the Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) grown for treated lumber. Isn't most of that grown in the Southeast?

As an alternative to PB fines, a couple of years ago I used cocoa hull mulch. It's a byproduct of the chocolate industry - same nice consistency and a sweet smell to boot. My local garden center sells it as a "luxury mulch" for about $7.00 for a 2 cu. ft. bag, but the Home Depot had it at the same price as PB fines - around $3.00.
Old April 5, 2011   #8
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

DV - Have you heard of this place: http://www.lumberjake.com/category/p...il-amendments/

They have a few products that look interesting - hard to say without seeing them, though.

They have a location in Culpepper - is that close to you?

Rich
Old April 5, 2011   #9
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well its not ideal, but if its cheap to buy in bulk why dont you just screen it. A little more work for sure but at the right price maybe do-able.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #10
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

In VA most garden nursery carry VA fines in a white 2cu ft bag with Orange writing.

also the link that fourtyonenorth had a product that would work

http://www.lumberjake.com/hardwood-f...l-conditioner/

george
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have found the best pine bark fines in Lowes this year. I think they had some really old bags and they were terrific for containers. The pieces in the bags I bought were generally smaller than a dime and very fine. The older bags were even smaller with the bark breaking down more.
It costs 2.47 and is in a white, green and purple bag with big letters saying 'pine bark mulch' with a brand called Robin Hood. I believe they are produced by a company in Georgia so your Lowes may carry a different brand or product. Good luck with your search.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #12
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all very much for your efforts, indeed appreciated!!!

I did stop by 2 more Lowe's stores, 1 more HD, another Walmart... Nothing at all, either huge chunks or at least 50% wood chips.

Here is what Kmart had:

I think it is better than anything I've seen so far, bought 4 bags just to try...

Forty - Culpepper is not too far, maybe 30min drive... If you guys think these are not sufficient enough to mix with what I have, I don't mind taking a drive to Culpepper (will call them first to see if they do carry Pine Fines from JK mentioned in the links above)

Many thanks to all!

Regards,
D
Old April 6, 2011   #13
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

D -

The photo looks good - I bet it will work for you. Let us know how it turns out!

Rich
Old April 6, 2011   #14
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Rich! Appreciate the help!

I will be mixing it with some recycled media:

Which worked fine, and still does for house plants, but containers got a little dense toward mid season. I will be adding additional perlite and dipping the roots into a mixture ala Ami (Mycogrow/Biotamax/Actinovate) and hoping for a strong plants of Dwarfs, early determinate tomatoes and hot peppers on the deck. Peppers don't seem to mind denser mix at all, it's the tomato plants somehow want something different

Will definitely post the photos of the progress throughout the season.

Regards,
D
Old April 7, 2011   #15
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

In what percentage will you be adding the pine bark mulch?
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote