Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 23, 2013   #1
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

Default 55 Gallon drums (SIP or Planter)

I had 12 five gallon SIP containers I did last year and they did really well until a very large wind storm came in mid August and blew them all over. I do admit I did not have them secured very well so 75% of the blame is on me.

I recently found a source for 55 gallon food grade drums for $7 a piece. I am trying to decide if I should make SIP containers out of them or just cut them in 1/2 and make regular planters out of them. I plan on putting two plants in each container. I cannot do raised beds and have to resort to containers since most will be on my concrete patio.

Do you guys think the SIP container will be well worth the hassle? If so, what size wicking basket size to reservoir size is recommended. My guess would be that the sip would hold about anywhere from 7-10 gallons of water.
Boarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2013   #2
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

That is a great price. They also make great rain barrels.
Old December 23, 2013   #3
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

I would do regular planters if you are going to be home everyday. Do the SIP If you plan on being gone for several days at a time during it's peak production.
I grow one plant in one 1/2 barrel or 25 gallon pot with some pruning to manage at the most 12 to 13 vines per plant and it has to be watered 3 to 4 gallons on a daily basis when it is in full production at 5ft tall.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2013   #4
Boarhead
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, The reason I am debating on not doing the sip this year was I had a few tomatoes split open on me last year. I was watching a Baker Creek video of Brad Gates (all my maters are Wild Boar Farms) and he said to cut back 30% on the watering once fruit set to prevent cracking. I figured that would be easier for me to do with planters than with sips. I might set up some type of watering system attached to my hosepipe that I could just turn on an water all plants if I go the planter route.
Boarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If weight is your main reason using these, than SIP is probably the better choice. That water will add quite a bit to the total weight.
As for cracking, I'm not sure that's the way it works. It's mostly caused by uneven watering than lots of water all the time. Hydroponics would be a disaster otherwise. Use a complete fertilizer (like in hydroponics, with all minerals and high K content) and you'll have more tomatoes than any other method, and good tasting too.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #6
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
If weight is your main reason using these, than SIP is probably the better choice. That water will add quite a bit to the total weight.
As for cracking, I'm not sure that's the way it works. It's mostly caused by uneven watering than lots of water all the time. Hydroponics would be a disaster otherwise. Use a complete fertilizer (like in hydroponics, with all minerals and high K content) and you'll have more tomatoes than any other method, and good tasting too.
Bingo. Potassium is necessary for carbohydrates, glutens, and sugars.