Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2015   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite Garden Hose?

I am big fan of waterright hoses, the connection is top notch and hoses are light and don't kink much. However, they are relatively small in diameter, but great for general purposes.

2nd choice is the craftsman all rubber black snake hose. heavy and long lengths are tough to tote, but built to last and lifetime. When I installed a new spigot in the garden area, I did not put pressure regulator on and was bumping 190-210psi and the only hose that could withstand the strain was the craftsman. sure it looked like old faithful going off when I turned it up and on.

sh*t list:

Flexilla hose. the male end hose connector on both hoses pulled out and never could reset. Once corrupted, the end hose just comes undone. talked to manufacturer and they said I need receipt, etc... this is a lifetime hose? just needed the end piece to replace as aftermarket products would not work as well or only for a while and the derned thing would "wiggle" free. Very poor customer service for a high end hose.

Pocket hose: Yup, I bought one and it lasted a day. Did return for refund no problem, but thing was complete junk, J-O-K-E.

What is your choice of water distribution in the form of a garden hose?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You get what you pay for. I usually buy the el-cheapo hose and expect it to be a pain to use. If I were naming mine, I would call it the E-Z Kink.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good hose cannot be light weight.
I have one (5/8")for about 3 years. It is RED color , soft feel, rolls pretty good and wont bulge. I don't know the brand name.
The other kind ( Green, nylon re-inforced) are rigid, hard to coil and to work with.
I like good quality garden tools and hose is one that I use more often than anything else. So it has to be of good quality.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had black Craftsman hoses for years they stay soft and never leak. Its the only hose i will buy.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I "may" have a black Craftsman hose. It's now gray and maybe 50+ years old. (Hey, that sounds a lot like me)
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #6
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

craftsman hoses are worth every penny. ran over one and sprung a leak; cut the ends, return to sears - have had two craftsman hoses for 20+ years. My ONLY complaint is the heft. One year I grew some Okra about 100ft from my shack and lugging the craftsman hose was a back breaker. Will say the okra did fine with minimal watering, as I would only water when the plants were wilted and about to die. Sure kept me from overwatering.

The water right hoses are a gem and made in the u.s.a. quality. have about 4 around the greenhouse in the garden. they are expensive, but usually only buy on sale (woot dot com).

Flexogen used to make a good hose, but have problems with that big ole' monster at the female connector. Already send one back, and the replacement was of much poor quality.

Got some vinyl hoses, but those are usually cut up for containment in which a run a rope through it; or for connectors to leaky hose labrinyth.

Glad to see someone else like's the craftsman. Great buy for quality when on sale and lifetime return makes it a good un.
Old July 29, 2015   #7
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I like anything not heavy and stubborn that has a wide thick stream. Skinny streams take too long. I leave my hose stretched out so kinking's not really an issue. Gotta be light blue and pretty !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I really want to buy a coil hose for my very small front yard (think maybe 15 x 20ft?) but all the reviews say they are all junk.
Old July 29, 2015   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I really want to buy a coil hose for my very small front yard (think maybe 15 x 20ft?) but all the reviews say they are all junk.
They are junk. Try one of those expand and retract type soft sided hose. Everyone i know who owns one seems to like them and the store very small amd light.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite Garden Hose?

I bought a Pocket Hose with the brass (not platic) connectors this year and I love it for use inside my garden fence, around the raised beds. I've been using it about twice a week since spring and it seems to be holding out great.

PS -- I don't leave it out and exposed to sun/weather between uses. I drain it, gather it up, and store it in a plastic tub.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Craftsman. Cannot go wrong. 12 years and counting.....
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My Sears Credit card is itching to be used. It walking up to me and told me to read this thread. I guess I'll be visiting Sears soon. Cool, now I know which one to buy.

(No actual hallucinogenic drugs were used during this process )
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #13
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Neverkink pro.
Heavy as an anchor, but won't kink. 5/8 bore to get it done.

Price on amazon not too bad.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #14
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

http://www.bradsdeals.com/p/219028?&...dsdeals.196225

Here is a decent deal if you like the pocket squirter.
Old July 30, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I am big fan of waterright hoses, the connection is top notch and hoses are light and don't kink much. However, they are relatively small in diameter, but great for general purposes.

2nd choice is the craftsman all rubber black snake hose. heavy and long lengths are tough to tote, but built to last and lifetime. When I installed a new spigot in the garden area, I did not put pressure regulator on and was bumping 190-210psi and the only hose that could withstand the strain was the craftsman. sure it looked like old faithful going off when I turned it up and on.

sh*t list:

Flexilla hose. the male end hose connector on both hoses pulled out and never could reset. Once corrupted, the end hose just comes undone. talked to manufacturer and they said I need receipt, etc... this is a lifetime hose? just needed the end piece to replace as aftermarket products would not work as well or only for a while and the derned thing would "wiggle" free. Very poor customer service for a high end hose.

Pocket hose: Yup, I bought one and it lasted a day. Did return for refund no problem, but thing was complete junk, J-O-K-E.

What is your choice of water distribution in the form of a garden hose?
190 to 210 PSI how on earth are you getting that?

Life time warranty means nothing these days with some stuff.
I had a battery on a Rigid drill die in less then 6 months and they told me I had to have a receipt.
I said it was a gift and the guy said it wasn't covered without the receipt.
I asked him how in the devil I was supposed to keep one for the------- well anyway you know.

A total rip off.

I bought a black food grade 100 foot hose from tractor supply 15 years ago and it is still going strong.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote