Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2015   #1
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Mis-labeled seeds

It is becoming painfully obvious I will be doing without my favorite kelloggs breakfast this year.
I have mixed things up before, but this is what is labelled KB
Quick survey of the garden shows no likely KB anywhere.
Kinda mad about it.

It's enough to make a guy save his own seed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150803_20381.jpg (62.6 KB, 105 views)
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I know that can be a bit disappointing when your looking for a favorite and get something else. I know it is probably too late for you to start this year again, but if you want for next year I have some commercial KB seeds from Hazzard's and I also have some bagged KB seeds if you want. Just pm me.

I've tried to grow KB here a couple of times with no luck. Think it is just too hot and humid here for it.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Nematode, how does KB do in your garden? I've put KB and KBX on the "maybe someday" list because I didn't know of I would get many ripe up here in our area.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #4
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Is your KB potato leaf? It sort of looks like it in the photo. If they are the right color then maybe you have a KBX instead. I personally prefer KBX to KB. Mine is turning out tomatoes like crazy.

Nevertheless I sympathize with your frustration. I have at least 4 varieties that are producing some wrong plants. The really annoying thing is I give away a lot of seedlings. For some reason my friends will get the correct one but the one I keep turns out to be wrong! I see the wrong varieties occurring more and more frequently. I do believe that some of the newer varieties may be being released before they are really pure. Others from trades are probably due to not bagging so there are crosses among the seeds sent.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2015   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

So far for me it is only one wrong variety: a German Giant that isn't. A nice little salad style tomato. I will try again next year for a flawless season.
Old August 3, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nematode, save your own seeds, What grew in your garden this year will grow better in your garden next time you plant them. After all, the next generation will be growing in their own neighborhood. It's good to know your turf.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 3, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #7
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain, I have a beautiful highly productive Lemon Boy, that was supposed to be Cherokee Purple! This mix-up was from plants from a local farmer. A tomato garden without Cherokee Purple just isn't a tomato garden in my book!
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2015   #8
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Nematode, how does KB do in your garden? I've put KB and KBX on the "maybe someday" list because I didn't know of I would get many ripe up here in our area.
All I can say is KB is a combination of texture and flavor that I find amazing.
They would not have to be a heavy producer to be worth the space.
Last year I got only a few per plant but I tortured the plants so it would not be fair to judge them on that. My guess is you are not far from here (gloucester) and that they might be worth a try.
I do not recall them being particularly late.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote