Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 10, 2017   #1
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Default Hundred And One Uses For Nylon Tulle

nylon tulle 1.jpg
I first discovered it when flea beetles were making holes in my small eggplant seedlings. But then I found many uses for it around the garden. It is reasonably priced @ couple of bucks per linear yard at fabric stores. They come in different color (clear, white, green, red .. ) and various mesh sizes.

USE !: To Ward off Flea Beetles

Now you numerate !

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; January 10, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #2
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Great topic!

I don't know whether the spelling in item 1 was intentional humor or a typo, but anyway.
2) bagging tomato blossoms (using the tulle with very small mesh)
3) top, secured with rubber band, for fermenting cups (tightly stretched, I've seen fungus gnats try to get through, but generally fail)
4) top, secured with rubber band, to protect seedlings sprouting in cups (I've sometimes had problems with fungus gnats or some small beetles bothering seedling cups -- but not with the tulle present)
5) crumpled up, impromptu "scratchless" nylon scrubbing pad

PS -- wasn't any need to correct post 1 -- "flee flea beetles" is a great plan

Last edited by JLJ_; January 10, 2017 at 06:36 PM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

First, I had to learn what it is http://www.joann.com/shiny-nylon-tul...n/prd7199.html

Sounds like it would be useful for everything above this post.

Use it to hold compost in compost tea.
Use it to drain compost tea.
Maybe as shade cloth?
See through wedding/brides maids dresses? Wait, that doesn't sound right. I mean the see through parts. For those who are unfamiliar with tulle fabric in general, it is a fine, often starched, net fabric used for tutus, veils, dresses, trims, etc. http://www.moodfabrics.com/soft-blue...e-fn13892.html

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 10, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Great topic!

I don't know whether the spelling in item 1 was intentional humor or a typo, but anyway.
2) bagging tomato blossoms
3) top, secured with rubber band, for fermenting cups
4) top, secured with rubber band, to protect seedlings sprouting in cups
Thanks for reminding . It was TYPO.
I spelled it correctly the first time. .
Now I'll edit it.

OK. So far good. There are more uses for NT around the garden.

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; January 10, 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old January 10, 2017   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

In my experience, smaller pests like some flea beetles can get through the holes in tulle. It also lets pollen through very easily.

For a small pest barrier and pollination barrier, I prefer organza, but it's typically more expensive than tulle.

Tulle can make good shade protection when hardening off seedlings. Use several layers of it at first and gradually reduce the # of layers. It's a good way to harden off to sun if you can't be home to move seedlings in and out of direct sun.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
In my experience, smaller pests like some flea beetles can get through the holes in tulle. It also lets pollen through very easily.

For a small pest barrier and pollination barrier, I prefer organza, but it's typically more expensive than tulle.

Tulle can make good shade protection when hardening off seedlings. Use several layers of it at first and gradually reduce the # of layers. It's a good way to harden off to sun if you can't be home to move seedlings in and out of direct sun.
There are tight mesh tulle that NO insect can get through it, including flea beetles, mosquito ... I don't know about pollen.

EDIT;
I found one source saying they have insect tulle that has 645 holes per square inch. If you consider the thickness of the fabric, the opening is less than 0.5 mm square. or less than 0,02 (1/50th of an inch) square inch.
No insect can pass through it.
As tight it is light, water and air can go through it.
There are much coarse ones that can be used for rabbits, rats, bees ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nt-3.jpg (7.3 KB, 103 views)

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; January 10, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old January 10, 2017   #7
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
There are tight mesh tulle that NO insect can get through it, including flea beetles, mosquito ... I don't know about pollen.
I am seeing this stuff covering vents of Greenhouses, and I think I may try it myself.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #8
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

It all comes down to mesh size.
Check out this link Mark.
They also have one for thrips. I like this site, because it gives specs on air flow, light transmition, and insect exclusion, insect type and their size in microns versus the microns of the mesh.
They also have one that excludes thrips.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...nsect-screen/s

Last edited by PureHarvest; January 10, 2017 at 07:47 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #9
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I could see wrapping my whole body in this stuff during 'may fly' (black fly/gnat) season. It would be great for keeping them out of my ears and eyes, they leave big welts on me too later in the month when they get aggressive right before dying off.

EDIT: Anyone here handy with sewing that can make me a suit out of this stuff??? Or maybe they exist already?
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #10
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I could see wrapping my whole body in this stuff during 'may fly' (black fly/gnat) season. It would be great for keeping them out of my ears and eyes, they leave big welts on me too later in the month when they get aggressive right before dying off.

EDIT: Anyone here handy with sewing that can make me a suit out of this stuff??? Or maybe they exist already?

You could try putting some over a wide brimmed hat, tucking the ends securely under a shirt or jacket put on overtop the ends to keep it in place. That would be an easier way than sewing to test the size of mesh on the horrible black fly.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post

Did that. Visiting a friend that lives on a small river, dense foliage no wind. Horrid black flies that year. She had a bolt of it and we just draped it over our hats and covered our entire bodies. Shame when the weather is so nice outside after a cold snowy wither and those buggers will not leave us alone. At least we could sit in the garden. Couldn't do much else but sit. Like ghosts.

They make suits.
I have a half dozen of the ones that just go over a hat. Sewn and fall over the face and shoulders. 3 bucks on Amazon. (Stocked up if we have guests and it happens to be a horrid season for the nasties).
We get lots of wind up on the mountainside that keeps most away. Not had a bad year in some time. A few mosquitoes. Another bug is just relentless nose diving all over the head and face. So fast i've not even got a good look at it ever. We just call it 'buzz head'. Near worse than the ones that bite.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #12
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Did that. Visiting a friend that lives on a small river, dense foliage no wind. Horrid black flies that year. She had a bolt of it and we just draped it over our hats and covered our entire bodies. Shame when the weather is so nice outside after a cold snowy wither and those buggers will not leave us alone. At least we could sit in the garden. Couldn't do much else but sit. Like ghosts.

They make suits.
I have a half dozen of the ones that just go over a hat. Sewn and fall over the face and shoulders. 3 bucks on Amazon. (Stocked up if we have guests and it happens to be a horrid season for the nasties).
We get lots of wind up on the mountainside that keeps most away. Not had a bad year in some time. A few mosquitoes. Another bug is just relentless nose diving all over the head and face. So fast i've not even got a good look at it ever. We just call it 'buzz head'. Near worse than the ones that bite.

Yes, they sell the mesh hats at the garden stores here, but they have a slit in the back and Velcro at the rear. Those pesky booger get right in. I've had them crawl up my pant leg and not start biting until they got above the knee. Mosquitos are different, we have those mid-summer, but they only seem to come out for about an hour or so and then go away, not too bad to tolerate and they are very swattable, not in swarms like those 'may flies'.

I did find a trick to keep them away from my face. If you raise your hand above your head, they go after they highest spot (but your hand gets bitten).
Edit: I pray for a 5-10 mph steady breeze during these times, they cannot navigate in that.

Last edited by rhines81; January 10, 2017 at 11:18 PM.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You could try putting some over a wide brimmed hat, tucking the ends securely under a shirt or jacket put on overtop the ends to keep it in place. That would be an easier way than sewing to test the size of mesh on the horrible black fly.
That is my plan. I moved down here last September. Beside mosquito there were lots of those nasty gnats or flies or whatever. They get into your nose, eyes, ears ... very annoying.
There is a creek running next to the property that is a breeding haven for them.

So there you go ; Another good use for nylon tulle

Happy Gardening !
Old January 11, 2017   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

My bug head nets are a big tube shape where you wear your own hat. Can't believer we are talking about the annoyances of summer while covered in snow.

I should up the quality of my tule. But a 9 dollar bolt covers both salad beds and my zuks while they are taking off and the winter squash. I get two years out of it if i bring it in for the winter. This makes me think the rest of that bolt not used is still under some boards at the end of one bed.

Yes, the quality is all over the place. My last bolt was much dense and nice and stretchy.
Dumb are they for not putting their logo.com on the end. My first bolt maybe 3-4 yrs ago did not hold up as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tule for garden.jpg (669.0 KB, 84 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #15
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

There you go. Yet another use : Bed Cover.
They are wind proof, let sun and rain in and keep the bug out.

Happy Gardening !