Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2008   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine Purple

I received this one in a trade & don't know much about it, so any info. would be appreciated.

I also assume it must be unstable (either that or I have crossed-seed), as of the five I have germinated, 3 are RL, and 2 are PL and are about 2/3's the size of the RL.

Any insight?

Thanks, Kim
(P.S - tried the search function, but couldn't find anything).
Old April 21, 2008   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Kim,

This variety is known under different names - Purple Brandy, Marizol Bratka, and Brandywine Purple. You can find more info at http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/Brandywine%2C_Purple, but it is a stabilized cross of Brandywine and Marizol Purple bred by Joe Bratka and should be PL.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2008   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Brandywine Purple, better known as Marizol Bratka, was bred by Joe Bratka and is a stabilized cross between Brandywine and Marizol Purple.

Joe tried to pass it off as an heirloom but it isn't an heirloom.

I first saw it on his list many years ago and asked him about it. That's when he said he'd bred it himself. I suggested he call it Marizol Bratka and he agreed but had already sent out seeds as Purple Brandywine.

It's indet with PL foliage and has large dark pink beefsteak fruits and taste comments are on the positive side from most folks.

And yes, I've grown it. And it is genetically stable so you must have received crossed seeds.
Old April 21, 2008   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

So, I guess I'm going to have to start an "experimental garden" & add my wrong-leafed/crossed seeds. I am definitely bagging my blossoms this year. I am paranoid about saving crossed seed and passing it on, but it is fun once in awhile to grow out "the freaks" (Lol) & see if you get to dehybridyze the next great new variety.