Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 6, 2015   #1
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Default Grow Update (Pictures!)

Here is an update on my grow.

I started them around mid/late Feb

They don't seem as happy as they were in the beginning, what should I do?

This is my first time growing

Placed plants in bigger pots (4/6/15)
http://imgur.com/a/U3H42

This album is with the light on (4/5/15)
http://imgur.com/a/1oeWU

This morning with light off (4/5/15)
http://imgur.com/a/CcNIE

Last edited by Ghawdex; April 7, 2015 at 06:49 PM.
Ghawdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #2
Yentlsil
Tomatovillian™

Leaves seem to get yellow... Probably something to do with feeding (shortage?)
How old/strong/warm is the grow light above the plants?
Grts
Yentlsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2015   #3
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

You are right, some of them are yellow (the light is also making them seem a lot more yellow than they are)

The light is brand new and a 1000watt HPS light.

I just placed all plants into 1 gallon pots, with all new soil (Foxfarm ocean forest)

Here is what the new setup looks like. I had to put some of the plants under fluorescent lights as I didn't have room for the big light

http://imgur.com/a/U3H42

I'm hoping the yellowing will stop now with the new soil.

I also noticed some of the main stems were turning a dark purple type color.

Last edited by Ghawdex; April 6, 2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old April 6, 2015   #4
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

double post

Last edited by Ghawdex; April 6, 2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: double post
Old April 7, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yellowing leaves is almost always due to overwatering, so let them dry out a bit, then with the next watering, put 1Tbsp epsom salts into 1 gallon of water, and give that to them, and I betcha they will green up nicely, and quickly. Purple stems are often due to cool temperatures, or an anthocyanin containing variety, and extremely rarely, due to phosphorous deficiency. Since you transplanted, all this might just go away by itself.
Just don't overwater, and I bet they will all be fine.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Slow down on watering them. Keep them on the dry side to limit their growth. I have tomatoes in a greenhouse that have been there since Jan. and are maybe 1' tall now. Really sturdy stems, dark green foliage, just a nice looking tray of tomatoes. I only water if I notice them starting to wilt.
How many tomatoes do you have in each container?
what are you going to do with them when it is time to plant them out?
they will be next to impossible to separate then.
I think ideally there should be one in a pot from seedling stage to planting out. It just makes it easier to take care of them. If you aren't going to need all the plants in each pot clip all but the strongest one out of the mass. If you are going to need them for your garden they still need to be separated or the easiest thing to do is clip them off (except the nicest one) and re root the ones that you want.
Old April 7, 2015   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Yellow leave can be due to one of the following:

--- Too much water
---- Lacking nutrients
---- Not enough light

OR a combination thereof.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #8
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone, I think they turned yellow due to too much water and lack of nutrients.

Seeming how this is my first time, I didn't know if I should put 1-2 seeds in each pellet when I started germination, or do like 5-6... So I did that haha, I did pull out some small ones that weren't doing too good yesterday, but will probably do some more as the next two weeks go by.

I will be doing two gardens as well, one at my house and the other at my girlfriends place.

Another question I have, when it comes time to watering them again, how much water should each gallon pot get? or, should I be soaking them or just 'damping' them?

thanks
Old April 7, 2015   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

When you mass plant like that (I usually do 10 seeds per cell) you have to transplant them much earlier into bigger containers. Normally at the very start of the 2nd set of true leaves. Even in that size pot they look overcrowded, and the bigger they get the more trouble transplanting. As for watering the amount dosent really matter, I mean I water till it runs out of the pot. The frequency is what matters. Like many here said it is best to wait until you see a little leaf wilt starting before you water. It makes stronger plants and eliminates a lot of issues.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #10
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
When you mass plant like that (I usually do 10 seeds per cell) you have to transplant them much earlier into bigger containers. Normally at the very start of the 2nd set of true leaves. Even in that size pot they look overcrowded, and the bigger they get the more trouble transplanting. As for watering the amount dosent really matter, I mean I water till it runs out of the pot. The frequency is what matters. Like many here said it is best to wait until you see a little leaf wilt starting before you water. It makes stronger plants and eliminates a lot of issues.
Ah, I wish I knew that to begin with! I did want to put them into bigger pots, but I didn't have the space for them. I am really hoping the weather gets better soon so I can put them outdoors.

I guess, I planted a lot in hopes to get a lot of fruit. I do have some really huge pots, but they are too big for inside. I will also be putting most of these into a garden bed.

When transplanting them to the bed, how far away should each plant be from each other?
Old April 7, 2015   #11
Yentlsil
Tomatovillian™

My plants are positioned zigzag, leaving 60cm between 2 pots at the same side, that saves a little space when using 2 rows...
Yentlsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2015   #12
Ghawdex
Tomatovillian™

Here is a little update on my plants

They are starting to fruit already! is that bad for this early?

And the plants (hard to notice with the light) are very green!

http://imgur.com/a/GDQ9X