Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.
|
|
July 30, 2017 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
GGWT at the Farmers Market
I took some tomatoes with me to the Farmers Market today. I'm there every Saturday anyway because I sell soap, might as well bring along some tomatoes. The striped tomatoes all started ripening at the same time. Some of these are Tennessee Suited, some are Chocolate Stripes, and Some are Girl Girl's Weird Thing. People inevitably ask what kind the stripey ones are, and would usually point to one of the girl girls because it was on top. After about 4 times of telling them the name, and then having to explain the name, while they're all thinking I've lost my mind, all the striped tomatoes became "Chocolate Stripes".
|
July 30, 2017 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Yup. I understand the name but I'm done explaining it to people. It's the "striped tomato" to the folks who buy tomatoes from me.
|
July 30, 2017 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
They look so gorgeous. I think I will go eat a mango and sulk now.
|
July 30, 2017 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Just put a sign up telling the story of the naming of the tomato.
Worth |
July 30, 2017 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
August 1, 2017 | #6 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I have noticed at farmers markets, names mean nothing unless it is something their grandfather used to grow. I think it is best to list most of the OP varieties as "Herilooms" like the grocery stores do. I will always tell them the names if they ask specifically, but the most common questions asked to me are:
1. What is the best tasting 2. I want a good tomato for sandwiches 3. I want a low acid tomato - what do you recommend 4. I want a sweet tomato - what do you recommend 5. Which tomatoes are best for cooking. |
August 1, 2017 | #7 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I mostly just get the first 2.
|
August 1, 2017 | #8 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Worth |
|
August 12, 2017 | #9 |
Tomatovillian™
|
More for tomorrow, and more variety, the other colors are ripening now.
|
August 12, 2017 | #10 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Looks so good!
August 12, 2017 | #11 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Do you find that the GGWT, Tennessee Suited, and the Chocolate Stripes taste about the same - darn good!! Here is my stuff to process - about 30/40 #'s per day gonna cook and freeze and eat all winter
|
August 12, 2017 | #12 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Not to me, the Chocolate Stripes and Tennessee Suited taste similar. The Girl Girl is much sweeter, a little too sweet sometimes. I put one on a taco and had to take it off, too sweet.
What doesn't sell at the market, or ripens before market, or is ugly , and manages to escape my BLT, goes into the stock pot for sauce. |
August 12, 2017 | #13 |
Tomatovillian™
|
yes, roaster tom's, juice, and soup.............all good!
|
|
|