Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2006   #1
BrokenAppleTree
CHOPTAG™

Default Tomato Seedling Prices

All who sell their seedlings,
I sold my seedlings for $1.50 per plant last year and I'm thinking about selling them for $2.00 per plant this year (limited quantity free for those who come to the plant swap ). For the quality of the product I sold and the time I invested, I felt like I could charge a little more. Just curious what others sell theirs for. Mine are all heirloom (around 15 varieties) with the exception of SunGold.

Best Regards,
Brian
BrokenAppleTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

A greenhouse here sells excellent quality tomato seedlings, including 11 different heirloom varieties, in 4" pots for $1.50.

With the dramatic rise in energy costs, I expect to see higher prices this year though.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've held at 2.00 per plant, 4 inch pot, for 9 years now, with no plans to increase.
Old February 22, 2006   #4
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Brian,

I'm glad you asked the question. It's one I was wondering about also. I think $1.50 is fine, but there is such a limited supply for heirlooms (with the exception of just a few) that $2 seems very reasonable. I think that is what I've decided on.

Lisa
Old February 22, 2006   #5
geoguy_TN
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure that I have paid $2 at the local farmers' market ir greenhouse. $1.50 is not enough. Go for the gold.

-Pete
Old February 22, 2006   #6
melody
Tomatovillian™

I've sold for 1.50 several years...due to health problems, I haven't sold seedlings in the past couple of years...I think 2.00 isn't unreasonable at all. Especially for what you are getting.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Good feedback - when I add up cost for the 4 inch pots, plastic stickers, sharpies - and especially, bags of MetroMix - travel to and from the market, seeds (for those I purchase), cost to sell at the market - oh yeah, forgot something.......hours, and hours, and hours, of labor!!!! - it is, I think reasonable. At least we've really had no push back at all over our 9 years!
Old February 22, 2006   #8
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody
I've sold for 1.50 several years...due to health problems, I haven't sold seedlings in the past couple of years...I think 2.00 isn't unreasonable at all. Especially for what you are getting.
We were thinking $1 each. Maybe we need to check around more. The local nursery sells 4 pks of plants for $1.29. In fact all of his plants in 4 inch or less are $1.29. They have quite a few heirllom and open polinated types for the same price.

He is the exception however, with others selling higher. I have seen tomatoes in 1/2 gallon pots going for $2.98. Not sure if I could compete with that.
Old February 22, 2006   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I guess my question about the price would be:
What am I getting ?
$1.50 for 2 early-girls is ok -
$2.75 for 2 Cherokee Purples would be reasonable ... Am I quoting New Jersey prices ???!!!
lol ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #10
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Boy, the Houston area is bad for buying heirlooms. Plenty of places to buy hybrids like Lowe's and Home Depot and small garden centers. Even the hybrids here are selling for $2.00 each and some I have seen at Lowe's are selling for $9.95 each. For a heirloom, $2.00 is certainly not unreasonable especially if its for harder to find seeds and plants. When I first started giving tomatos away at church, there was no one that even knew what a Paul Robeson, Aunt Ruby's German Green or Aunt Gerdie's Gold was. Now they know and are asking what I'm planting new this year. I just say "its a surprise"
Anyone in the Houston area know of such places to buy Heirlooms? I drive all over town working and often stop at some of the smaller garden centers and have found nothing.
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #11
melody
Tomatovillian™

I ignored the big box stores and the grocery kiosks that had generic seedlings for 1.29 for a 6 pack. I figure that I was giving something that couldn't be bought in places like those. I also only sold from my little greenhouse....not incurring the expense of travel and market spot fees.

Word of mouth, and a couple of articles in the Paducah Sun by the 'Community' editor gave me all of the customers that I needed.

If I were to haul seedlings to a Farmer's Market or similar location, I would charge..2.00/3.00 per seedling and never look back. There'd still be the cheapskates who'd moan and complain, but if they were 50 cents each, someone would have issues with that too.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #12
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

I saw $3 per 4" heirloom plant around here (San Diego) last year (Tomatomania and local nurseries). But then, everything is more expensive here (especially houses!).
cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #13
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

What I've found is that there are two distinct "markets" - and I peacefully coexist with the cheap 6 pak folks. We both do well. We aim for a very different clientele - I advertise in the newspaper, use my web site - people find me with web site printed out and lists made, but there are plenty of people that want the 3 foot plant in the 6 inch pot - that's fine! People at the market sell those as well. I often send people to them if they think 2.00 for a plant is too much - they are often just looking for 6 packs of Mountain Pride or Better Boy. The 6 pak growers have my card and send plenty of people to me as well.

It's all good!
Old February 22, 2006   #14
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Brian:
I've sold 12"-15" plants in quart pots for $ 2.00 each for four years-all here at the house. Sold out last year.
No complaints on the asking price.
Good Luck !
Dave
Dave_Z6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2006   #15
geol
Tomatovillian™

Last weekend I saw QVC offering 8 tomato plants on a payment plan.
$1.50 seems very resonable.
geol is offline   Reply With Quote