Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old September 14, 2009   #1
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Default Mojoland Fall 2009 Crop

OK. Got the tiller fixed and turned over the cover crop of weeds I cunningly allowed to run wild after the heat/drought killed all the tomatoes. Plotted current locations of fire ants in beds using Bare Foot Method. Figured out that giant tomato cages laid on their sides and side-staked will make excellent pea trellises (one atop the other --brilliant!)

Today was First Plant-Out. Two long rows of peas. Thoroughly watered in. I am a happy camper.

Left-over from main spring planting: one Matt's Wild Cherry, one Ichiban eggplant that has finally started production, and some volunteer basil.

Left-over from supplemental summer planting: two Burmese (?) okra, two Magenta Greens, volunteer Malabar spinach and one Thai serrano that may or may not make anything before I pot it up for the winter.

Next on agenda: broccoli. I went from seed last year and was disappointed with what I put in --the Packman I bought as a flat from Home Depot (Orange Temple of Doom) produced more per plant, though starting from seed was certainly cheaper. Suggestions? (Zone 8/9)
Old September 19, 2009   #2
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Good news: bought Waltham No. 29 and Barbados Hybrid broccoli packs, also Early Snowball A cauliflower.

Bad news: did a soil test today. pH around 6.5, but low levels of everything across the board. I really don't want to till again so soon to work in amendments, and the peas are already in --plus I found hidden onions that hadn't died and that have restarted, yay! So I'm trying to figure out if I want to throw down some Osmocote on top of the planting trenches and hope for the best.