Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 4, 2009   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default My SWC Mix Combo Trials and Fall Crop - Oct 4. (pics)

Just a brief photo update today. The plants put in July 23 in the left two 'Tainers are approaching 6 ft. tall.

As expected, the ones put in mainly Potting mix (without Perlite or Turface) are growing somewhat leggy, and the bottom 12" of the plants are dying off.

At the moment, the Cherokee Purples put in August 3 in a 3:1:1 combo of Potting Mix, Turface, and Perlite are looking the best at their base. Too early to tell how the fruit will be true to form, but the initial results look promising:

Also looking quite robust are the Champion plants I put in August 22 in a ratio of 3:3:2 Potting Mix, Bark Fines, and Perlite. The plant on the left is in a 4:4:3 ratio of the same, so even minor shifts in ratios can have an impact on the plant's development:

My second cycle of sweetcorn this Summer in each of the 'Tainers is developing well. I used a 4:1 ratio of Potting Mix to Perlite in these for my second crop this year. Just started picking yesterday, and we should have sweetcorn through the end of the year, from these and 5 additional 'Tainers.

Ray

Last edited by rnewste; October 4, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Ray, thanks for sharing. Even with all the varmits in my neck of the woods I think I will try some corn next year too.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ray: Always enjoy your updates. Keep them coming.
Old October 5, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the perlite/turface is working out Ray. Weren't you also doing a side by side with something else...um..actinovate or myco?
Old October 5, 2009   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,

I was also doing a comparison on 2 Celebrity plants between Tomato-tone and Tomaten Dunger fertilizer that Ami had sent me. I won't even post the current photo, as the Tomaten Dunger just blows away the Tomato-tone in terms of plant health and growth. Too bad it is not available in the U.S.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

So that's Ami's secret huh? Too bad is right.