Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 16, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default F3 Wapogasset

Wapogasset (working name- a nearby lake). I am growing 10 plants that I am making selections from to stabilize that are from unknown hybrid volunteers. I do know that one parent was red and one was pink. The two plants that are blushing at this point are both pink but one is larger than the other. Here is the bigger of the two. It is a pretty short indet. plant setting fruit more heavily than any other in my garden (with one exception, see below) so I hope they have good flavor.

Now I said there was an exception above and this one confuses me. I have a plant that is labeled as Cherokee Purple and it is not CP. It looks just like the Wapogasset F3 but is turning red and is setting fruit like madness. It may have been a seed mixup but I'm not sure how it could have happened because I am very careful labeling my plants. It is right next to a plant that is the real CP but the growth and fruit look very much like my F3 plants. Not sure how to figure it out now but here are some pictures. I have had very low fruit set this season so this thing is amazing! Again, I hope it tastes good.

Last edited by Mudman; August 16, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2011   #2
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Here is some ripe fruit. All that have ripened have been pink, medium sized fruit with green shoulders. Tasted good, but most of my first fruits have not been great. My wife said it had a bright tangy taste. I will save judgment till later fruits ripen. Not all of the plants have ripe fruit yet but they all seem to be similar in shape but some are larger than others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wapo1.JPG (13.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Wapo2.JPG (36.6 KB, 19 views)
Old November 8, 2011   #3
J Peazy
Tomatovillian™

I know this is an old post, but I'm impressed. Multiflora?

Any guesses about parentage?
J Peazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2011   #4
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I don't think this would be multiflora, but it was a very heavy producer. My guess about the parentage would be a red hybrid beefsteak (Beefmaster Hybrid or Big Beef maybe), but I have not gotten anything like that out of the grow out. These are all medium large and pink. And as you can see from the picture of the interior it is not like a beefsteak at all. They were not my favorite tomato but they did have an interesting taste that reminded me of a Green Zebra. I am excited to see what the F4 brings.