Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 8, 2009   #1
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

Default Pole beans and Japanese Beetles

I've been reading the thread on great tasting pole beans and was wondering if anyone could offer some input as to varieties of pole beans that don't attract clouds of Japanese Beetles. I grew Kentucky Wonder two years ago and was amazed at the swarms that descended on my little garden. I'd never seen anything like it. Went back to bush beans (Contender / Dragon Tongue/ Blue Lake) for last year and this year and didn't have any issues with them... but the taste didn't measure up. Still I've been a little gun shy over trying pole beans again as I don't really want to spend 20 minutes every day hand picking beetles or have to resort to too many chemicals.

--Justin
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2009   #2
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

I had purple podded pole beans this year, and was also amazed at the numbers of JB's I was handpicking every day. I posted in a companion planting forum about maybe planting them on purpose to keep JB's away from other crops lol, but I'm pretty sure I won't be planting these again.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2009   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

excellent question justin. i hope someone can inform us.

ky wonder is an absolute JB magnet. i have grown KW next to a flat pod italian 'romano' style pole bean for years on a trellis. the KY plants are attacked like mad while the flat pod bean plants are ignored. even back when i did not grow KY and only grew the flat pod the JB never bothered my flat pod pole bean. apparently KW smells or tastes better but i have no idea why.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009   #4
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

What I grew this year and how well the Japanese Beetles liked them:

Pole beans
Kentucky Blue moderate/high
Blue Lake high
Uncle Steve's Italian Pole not at all
Good Mother Stallard not at all
Fortex moderate/high
Jimenez low
Hidatsu Figure Shield not at all
Tobacco Worm not at all

Bush beans
Dragon Langerie not at all
Empress not at all
Canary not at all
Tiger's Eye not at all
Shirofume (edamame soy) moderate

I could go out and give the Blue Lake trellis a shake and hundreds of JB would take flight. Perhaps the Blue Lake served as a trap crop and kept the others from getting devoured. In the end I still had plenty of Blue Lake and Kentucky Blue--I always plant too many.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote