Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Krim snapped in half

So I'm harding off my seedlings tomatoes and peppers.I was setting them out this afternoon when I came home from work and as I was putting them on my patio a broom handle fell over and broke my largest plant in half!It was almost 8 inches tall and broke it down to the bottom 2 leaves.I only started 2 or 3 Krims and sure hated to see this happen.I was wondering if it my come back?Has this happened to anyone?I gave it a drink of half strength Miracle Grow.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
So I'm harding off my seedlings tomatoes and peppers.I was setting them out this afternoon when I came home from work and as I was putting them on my patio a broom handle fell over and broke my largest plant in half!It was almost 8 inches tall and broke it down to the bottom 2 leaves.I only started 2 or 3 Krims and sure hated to see this happen.I was wondering if it my come back?Has this happened to anyone?
Keep it, and let it continue to grow. It has leaves so it should have no problem growing back. I had a plant that was already planted out and some animal came along and broke off all of it's stems. I left it in the ground just to see what would happen and it started growing leaves within about a week or so. I was amazed.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

That happened to one of my tomatoes (Arbuznyi) this year as I was trench planting it. I had just pruned off the lower leaves and the whole top snapped off. I had just given away my backup seedlings.

There were no leaves left but it sent suckers out. It will be behind, but will still produce! Tomatoes can be tough!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks that's good to know,but another bad thing happened to me as I was bringing them in from outside I tripped coming in and fell on my knee I just had total knee replacement on in Dec.It is sore and I twisted my ankle.Fell hard while I was holding a container of plants.I did not lose my plants but my new bifocals I just got in my new glasses made me miss judge the step.It will be sore in the morning!
Old May 10, 2017   #5
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh, I hope you didn't cause too much damage to yourself.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Oh no! I paid for a couple new parts in me too. Feel for you. With a bad hip(s), it seemed like my leg would get hung up on more things whereas I would just power through before.

Healing thoughts sent your way; prayers sent up!

Jeff
Old May 10, 2017   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Oh no! I paid for a couple new parts in me too. Feel for you. With a bad hip(s), it seemed like my leg would get hung up on more things whereas I would just power through before.

Healing thoughts sent your way; prayers sent up!

Jeff
Thanks,I had a hip replaced 6 years ago and now both knees,first one was a year ago this past March and then the second one in Dec.I don't think I hurt it to bad as my ankle hurts more.My own fault.Thank you Jeff and Rockporter.That means alot to me.Really thoughtful people here at Tomatoville.
Old May 10, 2017   #8
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Criminy, CJP! Hang in there!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Hey, you are close enough if you need one come on down. I will give it to you. there is a whole flat of them. not 8" tall yet, but all in one piece at this point.

and I just read the whole thread... I am so sorry you fell. I hope you feel better soon.
Old May 10, 2017   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thank you,been a bad day at work,and then this at home but I think it will be Ok.My knee stopped hurting.First time I fell since surgery.Glad it was not right after surgery.I was more scared about doing any damage but had I really hurt I think it would really be bothering me now.Thanks for the kind words!
Old May 10, 2017   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Hey, you are close enough if you need one come on down. I will give it to you. there is a whole flat of them. not 8" tall yet, but all in one piece at this point.

and I just read the whole thread... I am so sorry you fell. I hope you feel better soon.
That's really nice of you clkeiper.Let me see how it does.I won't plant for another 3 weeks.I'll let you know!You made my day!!!
Old May 10, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Completely in half as in separated?
If not just trim some leaves and bury it up to its neck.
If so just 're root it.
Sorry to hear about the knee brother.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I did an adventure and planted out some real early. Then came freezing cold.
Despite my efforts to protect them, 7 got toated. 4 lost their growing tip but few leave at the bottom survived. I let them be and took care of them. Now they are healthy, bushy plants.
Because the main was gone, each grew 3 to 4 new side branches.
Now I also learned how to grow an indeterminat as bushy and compact.
Tomato plants are very resilient.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #14
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer:

I wondered if that would work.

I have a few plants I think may have been hit by herbicide - still considering replacing them. I went to the compost pile and found some leggy castoff seedlings I got rid of. Trimmed them up, planted them as back up plants . . . . and they are starting to look just like you described. Amazing plants . . . but no more herbicide in the back yard!
Old May 11, 2017   #15
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the kind words,the plant broke but was not in 2 pieces,I pinched off the stem as it was completely snapped and hanging by the skin of the branch.I just checked on it when I turned on the lights in the basement.Seems to look fine.I did give it a drink of half strength Miracle Gro right after it happened.I'll just keep an eye on it.