Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2017   #1
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Default Rumi Banjan tomatoes?

I'm making up my list for next year (I garden on a Southern Hemisphere schedule) and I was looking at Rumi Banjan as a possible choice. Has anyone grown them? Tasty? They look cool and Afghanistan conditions should be similar enough to mine. Experiences?
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have small fruit on mine in the high tunnel right now. It is my first time growing them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I grew them two years ago, but it was during a year of rain almost every day. I put them on my 'Try them again' list.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes. I have grown the yellow one. Very prolific and tasty, too. Perhaps not up to par with the sweetest of the yellow varieties, but well worth growing. Knowing about the background gives the experience its own unique edge
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #5
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Cool! I'm thinking I'll try it. They look neat, the history is cool and it's fine that they're not super sweet.
Old May 13, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

This is a must read for you about this variety,the link is readily found by doing a search here at Tville or by Googling it as well.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31561

It turns out that it's NOT a single variety,rather, a landrace, and yes, many of us know Tom Kleffermen, and as a landrace it comes in different colors as you can see in the links within the above link.

Sometimes even two colors on the same plant.

I never grew it but back then many did and I'd think it's fair to say that some liked it and many did not.

Carolyn
Old May 13, 2017   #7
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

How neat! Thank you so much for the information. I need to grow it just to see what it does. Whatever it tastes like will be better than store tomatoes and if I don't like them, I've no shortage of friends who will be impressed regardless, should I need to find them a new home.

Hopefully this next season is virus-free and I actually get to eat some tomatoes....