Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 3, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default New bug?

I have this new bug and I don't know what it is. I didn't think about trying to take a pic, til after I had squished it to pieces.

I found one alive on my plants. At first I thought it was a grasshopper because it had long legs in the back just like a hopper, but then when I got a look at the body it was bright green, about the size of a hopper, but different looking. Not a small bug either.

Than later I had some pots I was dumping of soil from last year and in some of the pots , one gallons, about half way down, I found 6 more of these guys. I don't know if they were just getting ready to come out of the soil or what. The ones in the soil , were more of a light brown color and fully developed like the green one. They were like half alive. Them pots had been sitting in hot sun since last fall, so was surprised to find anything alive in them.

Anybody happen to know what it might possibly be? Need to find out if it a good guy or a bad guy.

Just when you think you have all your bugs under control and new one pops up. Ugg.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Its a katydid, the females have a sword on their rear ends to make a hole to lay eggs in.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

That is it Worth. That's what I got. Thanks bunches. I googled to see a pic and habitat . Looks to be if you don't have to many that it is a middle of the road insect. Eats aphids besides plant leaves and has a lot of natural predators. Was surprised the one site I was on, think University of Michigan said that they are endangered. So as long as they don't make a pain of themselves I guess they will get to live here.
Old June 3, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They are sweeties I never kill them so what if they eat a few things.
Im a little baffled your question went unanswered for so long.tv
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 3, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old June 3, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I didn't describe it very well.

I have good bugs and bad bugs around. Unless they get to be where they are causing major economic loss, most bugs get to stay. You have to have something to feed the good bugs or they are not going to be around when you really need them.

Anything endangered gets to stay whether it be plants or bugs or a weed.
Old June 3, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see you question until I answered it.
You description described it perfectly. p
Worth
Old June 3, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They are sweeties I never kill them so what if they eat a few things.
Im a little baffled your question went unanswered for so long.tv
Worth
It's Wednesday first week of the month. I wasn't here to read it. It was pay the bills, wait on my wife in Walmart for an hour and a half mandatory meeting, go shopping, buy groceries, eat out, go pick up grandchildren - wish I had stayed home and got drunk instead - type of day

But yes a katydid. Don't catch one and hold it in your closed hand - it sticks the sword like parts into your skin. It feels like it is biting you (Not stinging)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #8
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

They have really powerful jaws but I caught loads of them when I was a kid with no issues. They make a really cool chirping at night and between them and the cicadas they really carry the summer choir in Middle Tennessee.
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post

But yes a katydid. Don't catch one and hold it in your closed hand - it sticks the sword like parts into your skin. It feels like it is biting you (Not stinging)
Glad you said something as I was thinking of trying to catch one to get a closer look at it and see if I seen the "sword part" Worth mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
They have really powerful jaws but I caught loads of them when I was a kid with no issues. They make a really cool chirping at night and between them and the cicadas they really carry the summer choir in Middle Tennessee.
If I get brave enough to go into the garden at dark, I'll have to see if I can hear them. I enjoy when the cicadas come. You can go to sleep with their music. Used to be tons of them here, not so much anymore.