Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2006   #1
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default marigolds and spider mites..............

I had been planning on having a lot of marigolds in my garden this year (esp nemagone variety).
However I have recently read that they may attract spider mites?!
Do any of you have any input to negate or validate this rumor?
Thank you very much!

PS. I have also heard that marigolds are edible... anyone tried them?
Old February 13, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

KC,

Putting it bluntly, planting Marigolds randomly to deter pathogenic nematodes just doesn't work, besides the fact that I don't think you have a nematode problem in the KC area, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

One has to use marigolds as a cover crop for a season and then till in to get any decent effect.

There are two aspects to this. First, marigolds, especially the Tagetes ones, are a trap crop for marigolds in that nematodes infect them but then can't complete their life cycle so are trapped and killed.

The second effect is that some marigolds secrete a mild nematocide, which really doesn't do much good.

Perhaps the best way to prevent pathogenic nematodes from building up to destructive populations is to continually add organic matter to the soil. They spread by going from sand grain to sand grain via the water shell, so the further apart the sand grains are, the more localized they remain.

But the Southern Root Knot nematodes are primarily found in warm weather areas where the soil doesn't freeze and that means the East Coast, GA, FL, along the Gulf Coast and then up thru the southern parts of CA,

The northern RKN's can exist in colder climes, but just aren't that common. I know of just one confirmed case in MI in all the time I've been posting online, and that I mean from a poster who related that info, while reports of Sothern RKN's are legion. They are two different species in the same genus.

And yes, spider mites can be a problem with marigolds, and yes, they are edible, but not for me they aren't. :wink:

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Spider Mites & Marigolds

If you have 90 degree days and 75 degree nights you will have spidermites most years. If you have 90 degree days and 75 degree nights and marigolds you will have spidermites every year. Those mites love marigolds.

Michael
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2006   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Agreed with Mike. Same goes for cosmos (especially C. sulphureus).
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote