Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 20, 2016   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Beans Sprouting

As a lot of you already know, I'm having to solarize our main garden due to RKN nematodes. That meant pulling every plant including the pole beans that were really hit hard by the RKN infestation. There were a double handful of pitiful looking asparagus yard long beans that I put on a stainless steal table. I had intended on tossing them in the compost bin, but forgot they were there.

To say it has been raining a lot here is a huge understatement. I was taking some compost material out to the compost bin today between showers and saw this -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0033.JPG (73.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0034.JPG (80.6 KB, 49 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

They're not giving up without a fight!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

PhilaGardener, thank you for your reply. It gave me an idea to look up.

After reading many sites, asparagus yard long beans do fixate nitrogen. I happen to have this fence-line in our onion bed that is around 7' tall that I could transplant these sprouting beans. It is where I grew runner beans earlier this year. So I will grow these nitrogen fixating beans - not to produce, but to till into the onion beds adding nitrogen in an organic form to the onion beds.

I hope the stainless steal growing asparagus yard long beans like sandy loam - they're going to be introduced tomorrow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

How cute! Gotta love new little sprouts.

Salt instead of planting a big garden, you should just toss all your seeds on your compost pile and then pick the seedlings you want from it. You must have a very healthy compost pile as it always bringing forth surprises and goodies.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote