Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 19, 2016   #1
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Default What is this thing?

Okay when planting my garden this spring, I planted zucchini, cucumbers and some pumpkins. These little green FUZZY things started growing from the vines. Never say a fuzzy football shaped pumpkin but let it grow. It kept getting bigger and started losing its 'fuzz.' Finally I had to pick one and cut it open. Is this some sort of cantaloupe? This one in the picture weighs almost 9 pounds. I tasted it and it didn't have any flavor, just tasted 'green' like things do before they are ripe. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20160919_172141.jpg (109.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20160919_172253.jpg (84.4 KB, 138 views)
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2016   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found something that looks sort of like it https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...BS9jhg7ysdM%3A

Winter squash was my first thought.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2016   #3
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

My garden is messing with me. Other than zucchini and pumpkin, I didn't plant any type of or anything like squash. I have no clue what to even do with it. How do you know when it is ripe?
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2016   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It is definitely a melon of some kind judging from the seed cavity and seeds. Possibly an Asian variety although I cannot imagine how the seeds came to be in your pumpkin patch. I am guessing but think it likely ripens to yellow.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2016   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Maybe one of the seeds you planted was actually a cross of some sort . . . can't quite imagine what, however!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2016   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Do a search for an Italian cucumber called "Barese." I think Baker Creek sells seed. I grew them for the first time this year, and your description fits what I grew. My understanding is that it is actually a melon, but when picked small (4-5 inches long or less), the flavor is all cucumber. The fuzz rubs right off easily, and the skin has none of the bitterness that cukes can have. It comes in two shapes: football-shaped like you picture, and a long variety. I had both, but I much preferred the short ones. I can't say why you got seeds for it if you didn't order it, though.
Old November 11, 2016   #7
DutchOverflow
Tomatovillian™

that's crazy and kinda cool haha I don't know that I would have tasted it being an alien in my garden
DutchOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote