Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 28, 2014   #1
Garden78
Tomatovillian™

Default problems with tomato blossoms dropping off

Hi. I have a container garden and I am growing better boy tomatoes. I have been noticing that some of my blossoms have been drying up and dropping off before setting fruit. Also, I have been noticing that the blossoms have flowered and then dropped off. What is causing this? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Conor W.
fredericksburg, va
Garden78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hello,
temperature is a significant factor when tomato plants are blooming and setting fruit. High heat affects the pollen adversely and when temperatures are high, over 85-90 degrees, the blossoms can drop unpollinated. If some fruit are setting, you may just find that a tomato plant will often just drop some blossoms and that can be normal.
Once temperatures decrease indeterminate plants will continue to bloom and set fruit. If there are many blooms, sometimes a plant just aborts some fruit in a cluster and allows some to grow. sometimes a plant just can't support the growth of every single blossom that gets pollinated.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2014   #3
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

Are you growing them indoors? If so, you have to hand pollinate your blossoms. Just give them a little tap on the nose (i.e. anther cone) when you water the plant. If there are too many blossoms or some that are hard to reach, giving the whole plant a gentle shake can help too. Even if you're growing them outdoors, you might want to try hand pollination in case you don't have a lot of wind or insects doing it for you.
Old July 28, 2014   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Some plants have hundreds of blossoms and never could support that many tomatoes at once, cherries can, but standard tomatoes cannot. Sometimes they just seem to set when the root can sustain the fruit set.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote