Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.
|
|
March 11, 2024 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Same old, same old
Well, we just planted our standard heirloom tomatos.
Brandywine Brandywine Red Mortgage Lifter Kelloggs Breakfast Cherokee Purple I’ve been such a tomato rut. Is there any new heirlooms I should consider for next year? |
March 11, 2024 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Nothing wrong with growing the ones you know you love! Have you tried Bolgarskoe Chudo, Oaxacan Jewel, Summer Cider, or Polish (Ellis)? I've also enjoyed Lucky Cross, Armenian, Rebel Yell, Italian Sweet, and Ananas Noire.
|
March 12, 2024 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Orange Strawberry (a large heart) was the best-tasting tomato in my garden last year
Linda |
March 12, 2024 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Plus one for Polish, Lucky Cross, & Rebel Yell !!!
March 12, 2024 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I started only purple varieties and later wished I had started some hearts also.
Went ahead and ordered some seeds for hearts for next year.
500 sq ft of raised rows zone 8a Last edited by decherdt; March 12, 2024 at 12:26 PM. |
March 12, 2024 | #6 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Brandywine (Sudduth), Kellogg's Breakfast, and Cherokee Purple are really good choices for standard, every year, varieties. I've never had much luck with any of the red Brandywines. I find Neves Azorean Red a much better tomato. Another red that I'm partial to is Bacon Lettuce and This, since it was discovered in my garden. To get out of the rut, perhaps a color change? Something like Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, or Girl Girl's Weird Thing? |
|
March 12, 2024 | #7 |
Tomatovillian™
|
The two that must be in my garden each year is Captain Lucky and Cosmonaut Volkov. There are so many really wonderful new varieties and ones that I haven't tried but those two will never lose a place in the line up.
|
March 12, 2024 | #8 |
Tomatovillian™
|
To echo our friend Tormato, Dester and Stump of the World are both superior and have been on my "grow every year" list for 7 or 8 years now.
March 12, 2024 | #9 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Thanks so much for your recommendations. I’m going to plant seeds for Green Giant next year, can’t find seedlings anywhere
|
March 12, 2024 | #10 |
Tomatovillian™
|
My favorite green, and I generally don't like green tomatoes.
|
March 16, 2024 | #11 |
Tomatovillian™
|
That's a great list to start with each year, Amen!! But, I would add Santorini for its taste, beauty, and super yields. I must also have Hawaiian Pineapple and Hill Billy Tomatoes. I can go on and on. After last year's heat wave; I will always have "Lescana" because the heat did not affect these large tomato plants at all. nor their yields
March 18, 2024 | #12 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
|
|
March 18, 2024 | #13 |
Tomatovillian™
|
They are Lescna Beefstesks. I was growing them for cold-warm weather for my future Winter Tomatoes supply for my Planned Greenhouse. I was in shock to see that they also truly survived very hot weather like last Summer.