Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 3, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default oxiclean method didnt work

any idea why i'm not getting germination? i used regular oxi clean and put a heaping tbsp in a small cup with some water and seeds. stirred a couple times over a 45 minute period and then rinsed very well.

allowed to dry on a paper plate for 5 days before testing for germination. i am 0-5 on germination after 4 days. i know it can take longer but usually by day 4 i see something. i am using the paper towel method to test germination with the seeds on a shelf next to cable box so its a little warmer than room temp. this is how i always germinate seeds to test viability

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, it may be that 4 days is just too short a period for them to sprout. I have seen some fresh seeds taking up to 10 days to sprout, but most of mine sprout within 7 days. I also find that seeds germinate faster (and usually better) when I use fermentation.

If I use oxiclean (usually in a case when I have only a few seeds, not enough for them to naturally ferment), I do not wait for this long. 5-10 min is usually enough to clean them from the gel.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

45 minutes sounds like a long time. At 25 minutes the gel was still clinging to the seeds?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I have great results with the oxyclean method using a scant 1 TBS. per cup of liquid, stirring occasionally and rinsing well at 25 minutes. After reading this thread, I'm going to try shortening the time. Four days is really early.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #5
paulgrow
Tomatovillian™

Where can I find find information on the Oxiclean method?
Thanks
Old September 3, 2012   #6
coastal bend
Tomatovillian™

I did the oxiclean on some CP tomato seed this year and it worked . I got a small grow light last week and took out some the cp seed and put in wet paper towel and they sprouted in 3 days. Planted them in small a small container and they were up the next day. this is the 3rd day under the grow light and can see first true leaf. This is just a test since this is the first time I will try growing seed for spring next year. Remember this is s Texas so it is really hot down here. If you have water plants grow fast this time of year. I kept them in the house under the grow light.
coastal bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Paulgrow Go to the search block and punch in oxiclean,every post and thread with the word will open up.Plenty of info.When I got on this site I went through and clicked on everything I could.There are plenty of tools on here you can use.Keep on clicking!
Old September 3, 2012   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Read the label on the stuff. Somewhere on there, it says, "It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

No one is coming to get you. The law is about lawsuits and liability. If you are using any product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling and something goes wrong, you have no legal recourse to sue.

There are morons (I don't mean that towards anyone here) who use battery acid as ph down in large-scale greenhouse hydro operations. Under the product labeling laws, the battery acid can be up to 1% lead. Companies sometimes intentionally mix in heavy metals as a way to dispose of waste, especially in products like battery acid, which are not meant to be around food production. So because some idiot wanted to save a few bucks on chemicals, he sells people tomatoes that contain lead. And if the food makes someone sick, the liability ends with the greenhouse operator, who's probably broke, not the billion dollar chemical company who intentionally put the lead there in the first place. That's the point of that law.

On top of all of that, I don't understand the point of the Oxy anyway. If you want the oxidizing benefits of hydrogen peroxide, you should just buy hydrogen peroxide. It's cheaper. fwiw, I use vermiculite watered with fish tank water in a heated chamber and I get virtually 100% germination within three days.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #9
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I have forgotten them for 45 min to an hour. Now I'll have to check some germination rates before next spring.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #10
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgrow View Post
Where can I find find information on the Oxiclean method?
Thanks
Here are the instructions. Just scroll down a bit after the section on the fermentation method.

http://www.settfest.com/2009/01/saving-seeds/
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #11
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking about using the Oxiclean method for my seeds - if I leave them in the oxiclean for too long does it adversely effect germination?
I did 1 hour a couple days ago and I swear there were still gel bits on some (though very few) seeds.
Old July 16, 2015   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Jeff, it may be that 4 days is just too short a period for them to sprout. I have seen some fresh seeds taking up to 10 days to sprout, but most of mine sprout within 7 days. I also find that seeds germinate faster (and usually better) when I use fermentation.

If I use oxiclean (usually in a case when I have only a few seeds, not enough for them to naturally ferment), I do not wait for this long. 5-10 min is usually enough to clean them from the gel.
This may have been my issue, I tried fermenting seeds from several tomatoes but only 1 tomato type per jar and they never got mold on top and never seemed to separate. What is the minimum needed for successful fermentation?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #13
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
This may have been my issue, I tried fermenting seeds from several tomatoes but only 1 tomato type per jar and they never got mold on top and never seemed to separate. What is the minimum needed for successful fermentation?

When i ferment it's always 1 tomato per jar. I use the smaller ball jars. never had a problem

oxi clean didn;t work for me

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #14
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

3 day or less for fermentation. Temperature plays a big part in timing. Definitely do not refrigerate.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #15
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

That's exactly how I did it...guess I just need more practice.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote