Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 23, 2013   #1
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungreen

I am growing Sungreen which is a sister line to Sungold. I am not sure what to think about this tomato. It is without a doubt the sweetest tomato I have ever tasted. However, it is almost like eating pure sugar without any tomato flavor.

It reminds me of desert at a Chinese food buffet. You know you are eating something because you can feel it in your mouth, but there is just not enough flavor to confirm it to your brain.

Sungreen is a very heavy producer and the plants are giants. It has very deep green foliage that I suspect come from a high pigment gene or ih gene.

Anyone else growing this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sungreen2.jpg (54.7 KB, 312 views)
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Nope not growing this one but looks intetesting from the picture. I'm wondering if you have ever grown Green Doctors? And if so would you say its sweeter than that? Allthough GD has some good flavor to go along with its sweetness I suspect this one might be sweeter. Curiosity has got me here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Bought seeds in December. Failed to grow it. Grew a couple of my green-when-ripe, potato leaf, pear shaped recombinants of Green Giant x Yellow Submarine instead. Sounds like I made a sound decision.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Is the SunGreen foliage and growth habit similar to SunGold's?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Good to see you back. I too will be trying sungreen and am interestex in growth habits like Fred.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Didn't like SunSugar because of lack of interesting flavor, sounds like I will pass on SunGreen as well. For me, Green Doctor's Frosted had a nice hint of lime or melon highlights. Nothing beats SunGold though.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I will be trying Sungreen for the first time this year.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Frogsleap used SunGreen in a cross with something that must be similar to the Artisan Tiger lines, because one of the segregations he showed looks very similar to Green Tiger. It was beautiful.
Old February 5, 2015   #9
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Didn't like SunSugar because of lack of interesting flavor, sounds like I will pass on SunGreen as well. For me, Green Doctor's Frosted had a nice hint of lime or melon highlights. Nothing beats SunGold though.

So strange as to me Sunsugar was pretty much exactly like Sungold. I could not really tell them apart. So that tells me, you guys, you best try for yourselves, as it appears location must somehow change how they grow and taste, or our taste buds are extremely different. A bit of both probably!

Last edited by drew51; February 6, 2015 at 01:20 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I completely agree with Drew.

Expanding a little more: What I have learned is that every variety of everything grown is different in your location, settings, amendments, amount of watering, soil types, etc. That remaining list of variables is most likely longer than the amount of characters I can post here.

Grow what you are interested in growing. Of course, use facts and information (Not opinions) as your guide. Enjoy the learning experience. Productive results, half-err results, or even failure brings knowledge. The way I see it - you won't know until you try.

I still have to get those I grow for to understand that all tomatoes are not red and tasteless. My journey begins...
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #11
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Ditto, I grew Sunsugar along with sungold last summer because it's a slightly smaller cherry, but taste to me seemed the same. I'm doing it again this summer, but with Golden Gem to compare to Sungold....

plus the Sungreen that I got in a trade, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
So strange as to me Sunsugar was pretty much exactly like Sungold. I could not really tell them apart. So that tells me, you guys, you best try for yourselves, as it appears location must somehow change how they grow and taste, or our taste buds are extremely different. A bit of both probably!
Old February 7, 2015   #12
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Where can I buy sungreen?
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #13
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Grow what you are interested in growing. Of course, use facts and information (Not opinions) as your guide. Enjoy the learning experience. Productive results, half-err results, or even failure brings knowledge. The way I see it - you won't know until you try.

I still have to get those I grow for to understand that all tomatoes are not red and tasteless. My journey begins...
Fantastic post, thank you! And good luck with your journey -- I've found that a gift of a nice small manageable potted tomato can go a long way towards encouraging an interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Where can I buy sungreen?
I think it's a hybrid, ie, expensive and hard to find in small quantities. If you're looking for "sweet" you could try J&L Gardens. They've released some very sweet varieties. The ones I've tried growing were very robust, beautiful plants. I don't know if they have a green one, though!

ETA, a quick google shows a site, kitchen garden seeds, selling them in a small quantity, but I have no first hand experience with the company so be diligent.

Last edited by tlintx; February 7, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #14
travis
Tomatovillian™

I got Sungreen tomato seeds from Osborne Seed Co. in 2012.

Here are their current cherry and grape types:
http://www.osborneseed.com/product-c...erry-and-grape

Here is their Sungreen page:
http://www.osborneseed.com/product-d...reen-garden-f1
Old February 8, 2015   #15
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I did a little research cuz I suspected the tomato was originally from Japan and yup, looks like Tokita Seed created this one. The name over there is different and I grew this in 2012 but had so few seeds and only 2 germinated, gave one plant away and my sole plant did not flourish. I only remember I was not impressed by the flavor at all. But, many of my tomatoes did not do so well that year either.
Maybe when I go to Japan this spring I will get some more then. The price will probably be the same as you can get here, the only difference for me is that my "shipping" cost will be my > $1000 plane ticket
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote