Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2015   #1
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

Default An interesting way to grow Tomatoes

I haven't been around in a while, but I saw this article and thought I'd share it with you guys. I can see where a few problems might arise, but it still looks interesting.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/one-mans-...grow-tomatoes/
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The water in the bucket of compost would make a compost tea with every watering.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Interesting; but I don't see how he could possibly fill the bucket once the plants were large.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015   #4
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Interesting; but I don't see how he could possibly fill the bucket once the plants were large.
It can be done with a hose and wand. The bigger issue is with more than 1 or 2 plants, it gets very crowded.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Looks similar to an old technique where instead of putting those plants inside the cage, you plant them OUTSIDE a large cage so that you can tie up the tomato plants as they grow. So you only need one big, wide sturdy cage for 4 plants. You would put compost, manure, fertilizer, whatever you want in the middle, dug in of course. Thus eliminating the need for the bucket. I tried it many years ago and would like to try it again but I don't have that type of space anymore in my garden beds. They are now rectangular and my tomatoes are planted across. You need a circular type of space.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2015   #6
RickyD
Tomatovillian™

Default Caging in

2 years ago, I put 12 Goliath plants in 24" apart in 2 rows 24" apart (6x2). Then put a 8' Tee post at each of the 4 corners. Then wrapped large hole 36" high chicken wire at 1' and 5' off the ground around the whole bed.
Cage full of nice tomatoes, could reach in under or at 4' to pick easily. Grew great until we were out of town a few days and a neighbor came over to pick the tomatoes. They were covered in tomato horn worms. One was 8" long. I had total destruction to sneak up on me, I had built a great insect haven!
RickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #7
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Especially since it says to add compost a couple of times a week. Once the cages fill in with foliage there is no way the compost can be replenished. I'm considering adapting the system by filling surplus 3 gallon grow bags with compost and placing them in the rows between my plants. Then I simply water the grow bags.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Neat idea but not much different than adding manure/compost to regular beds and watering it in.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #9
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

I got a note back from James Ryan the originator of the concept and he has changed his approach somewhat. Here's what he said:
"after the plants start setting fruit you stop adding compost and just water 2x per week by inserting a garden hose... since I first posted this I have changed my cages to cattle panels and sandwich the plants between two panels which makes it easier to water and add compost... this method allows deep watering into the lower root zones which allow the plants to absorb the natural calcium already in the soil to prevent blossom end rot"
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #10
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

That's a crappy example of the technique Check out mine! There is no tomatoes in that linked article at least none that i can see

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=586
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Neat idea but not much different than adding manure/compost to regular beds and watering it in.
That is true in principle but in practice this is simpler : You just load some compost in the beginning. The trash can also acts like a retainer/support.
It is a fun type of growing tomato in a small scale. (~ 4 plants ). JMO

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #12
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of keyhole garden concept.
I am planning to do something similar for my garden- simple is good.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote