Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2015   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Matte to Glossy - how long?

This might seem like a very trivial question, but bear with me...
There has been lot of discussion about harvesting tomatoes when they're still green, and it has been said as long as they're in their 'glossy' or 'shiny' stage, they'll be OK.
Now, how long does it usually take before that stage?

My cherry tomatoes (Gold nugget & Mohamed btw) have been sitting there for a couple of weeks, with their dark green shoulders and all. Still looks very matte to me.. Will they turn glossy soon, or do I have to wait another month for that to happen?
Never mind getting color, I can wait for that...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

NarnianGarden,

Can't tell you how long to 'glossy', but the set to ripe time varies for different varieties (genetic) and also depends on environment. If you're having it cool, it is likely to take longer, even for a cherry.

Shortest time I've seen from set to ripe was 28 days, that was a cherry. Typical for first fruit here, ie in spring with some 'not degree days' below 60 F in the reckoning, 40 to 54 days.

So, glossy is sooner than that, for sure. A month, maybe? Three weeks? Hard to imagine they are ripe enough to pick then (unless it's freezing of course... then anything goes)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #3
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Honestly I wouldn't use that as the picking time indication. It is just too subjective, too much "in the eye of the beholder">

The far more common recommendation for picking is what is called blush or color break and you'll find many discussions here about it and on the web if you Google 'tomato color break'.

Basically it is the point when the green color of the fruit first displays the 'blush' of red/pink/gold (depending on the color of the fruit) on the blossom end of the fruit. At that point the fruit is sealed off from the stem of the plant by a membrane and it derives nothing further from the plant at that point. Picking it to ripen indoors prevents pest and storm damage and the fruit actually ripens faster than is left on the vine.

Now as to how long - that all depends on the genetics of the variety. A very general guideline is 52-64 days after fruit set but weather conditions, available nutrients, etc. can easily affect that range of time.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks bower. It has been unusually hot here, so everything is growing fast... Hope to see some half-ripe one soon.

Digsdirt, I was not going to pick any at that green stage - merely curious about the growth habits and what people might have observed in their gardens. The DTM is a very unreliable indicator and highly dependent on weather and other factors. I know about 'the blush' and also am aware of the debate on whether there is any further flavor development at that point. others say nay, some have experienced otherwise.
Again, that was not the core of my question. thanks anyway.

I think some of my cherries are becoming glossy. yay!
Old July 5, 2015   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Thanks bower. It has been unusually hot here, so everything is growing fast... Hope to see some half-ripe one soon.
Aha, I knew somebody was getting the good weather.
We're shaping up for a classic cool summer here this time... I saw an iceberg yesterday.
Old July 5, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Aha, I knew somebody was getting the good weather.
We're shaping up for a classic cool summer here this time... I saw an iceberg yesterday.
Next you will be seeing Vikings.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #7
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
discussion about harvesting tomatoes when they're still green, and it has been said as long as they're in their 'glossy' or 'shiny' stage, they'll be OK.
Sorry, from your original post I read it as looking for "when to pick" tips.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I heard on a radio program many years ago (too many) that if you cut the tomato with a knife and the seeds didn't cut they would ripen in the house.

This statement has its draw backs, you just killed any chance of that tomato getting ripe.
But I do know what they meant.

Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #9
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

LOL - good one Worth!

Have you heard the one about "wait until it falls off the plant on its own and then you know it is ripe"? That one still pops up now and then on forums under the "my grandfather told me" label.

Then there is the one that "when the leaves around it begin to turn brown and dry the fruit on that cluster is ready to be picked". Someone was asking about that one in a recent Master Gardener class I taught.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow those are too good. Fall off the plant... ROFL.

Worth, if you see any Vikings, send em over. I need em to build me another tomato hut.
Old July 5, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh wow those are too good. Fall off the plant... ROFL.

Worth, if you see any Vikings, send em over. I need em to build me another tomato hut.
Have you ever been to (The Place) Where the only documented Viking site is in North America?
How far are you from it?

Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Have you ever been to (The Place) Where the only documented Viking site is in North America?
How far are you from it?

Worth
Sadly haven't been. It's on the Northern Peninsula, far north from where I live on the Avalon. It's very boggy up there, lots of barrens and berries. Some people have speculated that this was the 'Vinland' that was written about, because there are a ton of wild berries in this habitat (and indeed all over the island there are berry barrens).
Personally I wondered if the Vikings were attracted to that area because they were looking for a source of bog iron, and very likely found it in extensive bogs that had never been mined. They could probably spot the terrain they were looking for from the ocean. Berries are good too, of course. They may have abandoned the settlement when the local ore was mined out. Bog iron will of course replenish but it would take 30 years or so for even small nuggets to form.

I forgot to mention, the iceberg I saw yesterday was matte, we usually expect them to be glossy by July.
Old July 5, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sadly haven't been. It's on the Northern Peninsula, far north from where I live on the Avalon. It's very boggy up there, lots of barrens and berries. Some people have speculated that this was the 'Vinland' that was written about, because there are a ton of wild berries in this habitat (and indeed all over the island there are berry barrens).
Personally I wondered if the Vikings were attracted to that area because they were looking for a source of bog iron, and very likely found it in extensive bogs that had never been mined. They could probably spot the terrain they were looking for from the ocean. Berries are good too, of course. They may have abandoned the settlement when the local ore was mined out. Bog iron will of course replenish but it would take 30 years or so for even small nuggets to form.

I forgot to mention, the iceberg I saw yesterday was matte, we usually expect them to be glossy by July.
I have read the saga telling of the settlement.
It was Erick the Reds son and daughter that settled there along with more people.
Erick the Red was banished from Iceland for killing someone and being violant and moved to Greenland.
They travailed to north America to harvest timber and try to settle the place.
They did this settlement of Greenland during a warm spell in the climate and then it started getting colder.
They met Indians in America and soon someting happened and the vikings killed a bunch of them then the Indians came back and they had more fights.

Long story short this is what they had to say.
The people that live here are too many and too violent to settle here so they packed up and left.
It would never have worked anyway because there wasn't the support they needed from Greenland to settle there.

Much of Greenlands supplies were from Norway where they came from.
Stories even tell how they would capture polar bears and ship them to the king in Norway as a gift.
You have to be one tough bunch to do that without a knock out dart.
Viking means raider but they are farmers and herders first.
I could babble on how the crusades effected the ivory trade in Greenland and Iceland too but I will spare you.
Worth
Old July 5, 2015   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have read the saga telling of the settlement.
It was Erick the Reds son and daughter that settled there along with more people.
Erick the Red was banished from Iceland for killing someone and being violant and moved to Greenland.
They travailed to north America to harvest timber and try to settle the place.
They did this settlement of Greenland during a warm spell in the climate and then it started getting colder.
They met Indians in America and soon someting happened and the vikings killed a bunch of them then the Indians came back and they had more fights.

Long story short this is what they had to say.
The people that live here are too many and too violent to settle here so they packed up and left.
It would never have worked anyway because there wasn't the support they needed from Greenland to settle there.

Much of Greenlands supplies were from Norway where they came from.
Stories even tell how they would capture polar bears and ship them to the king in Norway as a gift.
You have to be one tough bunch to do that without a knock out dart.
Viking means raider but they are farmers and herders first.
I could babble on how the crusades effected the ivory trade in Greenland and Iceland too but I will spare you.
Worth
Ah, I get it... it was the outlaws' hideout.
Many tribes and peoples have come and gone from the island. The weather is extremely fickle. You get a couple or more mild winters in a row, you start thinking this is what we should expect. And then we have one of the bad ones....
Even the guys who can trap a polar bear, would get fed up (I mean go hungry) with the bad winter we do sometimes get... and the only supplies from Greenland would be some generous chunks of their ice shelf to garnish your summer sailing...
Old July 5, 2015   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like Canadian weather, not to mention Greenlander, is much more unpredictable than ours. We can always boast about the Gulf Stream. When that one shrivels up, I don't know how that's affect us...

To stay on my original topic, I think I can see some 'semi-glossy' ones. haha!
No way do I want to pick any that don't show at least some color, but being inquisitive and curious by nature, I am keen on learning on anything about a topic that fascinates me. Tomatoes, yes they fall under that category

The 'when to pick' tips are priceless. I am sure they all have their own merit and place.
How about... you know they're ready to be eaten when they fall into your mouth when you lie flat under the plant? Give the bush a gentle shake and see what you get...