Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2015   #1
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

Default Appreciate help to ID my tomato plant

Can anyone hazard an educated guess as to what tomato I have here?

Long story:

On a whim, picked up a Bonnie tomato plant for about a buck back in May at a big box store with initials H.D. Unlabeled and sitting by its lonesome in an empty section. Figured what the heck, I wanted to experiment with a bark heavy 5-1-1 in a container anyway.

There were a couple of Something Sugar or Sugar Something stake-style labels on the ground nearby. But rang up as a Bonnie Indigo Rose on the receipt.

Plucked off all lower leaves, planted it deep, then kind of ignored it, except for fertigating. Mostly indirect sun area but gets 3-4 hrs of afternoon sun direct. It's grown a bunch of stems, kind of wide, but not more than 3-4 ft high so far.

Couple of weeks ago noticed a darker pattern on the tops of the young green fruits, and thought OK looks like those Indigo Rose photos on the web and they'll turn purple soon.

Well today I noticed the first bunch to set starting to get orange.

Thanks for any insight.
ash7019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I take a wild Guess: LEMON BOY.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #3
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Sun Sugar

Lucky you I would say..
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Too small for lemon boy. If it is a sunsugar or sungold... yep, lucky you. smell the foliage/ The "sun" ones have a unique smell.
Old July 8, 2015   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If you noticed a darker pattern at the stem end and it's ripening up orange it sure does fit the picture of Indigo Rose.

http://bonnieplants.com/product/indigo-rose-tomato/

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2015   #6
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the comments.

If the darker stem end had not turned the same orange-y shade as the rest of the tomato, or if there were a hint of purple, I'd be leaning indigo way. And the largest seem much smaller than the 7 oz fruit described on Bonnie's Lemon Boy page.

So, any way besides taste or smell (no experience to compare with either) to id Sun Gold vs Sugar? Some web photos make Gold look closer to orange-yellow, and Sugar more orange.

In case any remain interested, I'll add another photo when more have changed color.

Whatever it is, seems to be making quite a few little tomatoes.
Old July 8, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash7019 View Post
Thanks so much for the comments.

If the darker stem end had not turned the same orange-y shade as the rest of the tomato, or if there were a hint of purple, I'd be leaning indigo way. And the largest seem much smaller than the 7 oz fruit described on Bonnie's Lemon Boy page.

So, any way besides taste or smell (no experience to compare with either) to id Sun Gold vs Sugar? Some web photos make Gold look closer to orange-yellow, and Sugar more orange.

In case any remain interested, I'll add another photo when more have changed color.

Whatever it is, seems to be making quite a few little tomatoes.
When at least some of the fruits ripen up to their mature color why don't you take a look at the link below which pictures all the plants that Bonnie PLants sell. Not all varieties are being offered by every outlet stores that they sell to but you may get lucky in being able to ID it, especially since H D usually carries lots of Bonnie plants, so I'm told.

http://bonnieplants.com/product-cate...bles/tomatoes/

Carolyn
Old July 8, 2015   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sun Gold starts out yellow and then gets orange. Right now, if it is a Bonnie Plant, I'd bet on Sun Sugar or Sun Gold. My instinct is leaning toward Sun Sugar. Unless you get a radical onset of another color, I think these are your two possibilities from the two pages of pictures in Carolyn's link.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #9
DrTrish
Tomatovillian™

I agree; Sun Sugar. I grow one every year.
DrTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I was just rereading this thread when I noticed you said;

(But rang up as a Bonnie Indigo Rose on the receipt.)

I think the Bonnie pots have those white labels in the side of the pots, as do the Cheff Jeff ones, and they would have a number that Ided the variety.

I think they do that b'c removable labels are so easy to get removed, lost, just like when I would do my transplanting at Charlie's greenhouses and his kids thought it was great fun to move labels around. I did not think that was fun at all.

And I know the same thing happens at some nurseries, even at my local Agway with plants shipped in from Canada for flowers, vegetables, herbs, etc. They all have the white labels in the side of the pots and also on one end of 4 and 6 packs.

Just too easy for the movable labels stuck in the pots to go travelling.

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Too small for lemon boy. If it is a sunsugar or sungold... yep, lucky you. smell the foliage/ The "sun" ones have a unique smell.
There is no size reference in the picture but the leaves.
I though they are to big to be cherry type. I know sungold is much smaller. Have not grown Sun Sugar.

Gardeneer
Old July 9, 2015   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Hard to say. To me it really doesn't look like sungold. Haven't grown Sunsugar.
Sungold has more space between the fruits on the branch, also the branches are much longer, with 16-20 fruits. Could also be the way it's grown however, and indeed it seems a bit bigger than a cherry.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Hard to say. To me it really doesn't look like sungold. Haven't grown Sunsugar.
Sungold has more space between the fruits on the branch, also the branches are much longer, with 16-20 fruits. Could also be the way it's grown however, and indeed it seems a bit bigger than a cherry.

zipcode,
you brought up a good point. The fruits formation/cluster does not looke a cherry type habit.
Below is a picture from Google depicting Su Sugar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunsugar.jpg (23.5 KB, 69 views)
Old July 9, 2015   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

honest to goodness, those fruits do look like cherry sized clusters in the photo. I will guess the fruit will have to ripen the whole way to "see" what it matures to, but Lemon boy is a huge fruit compared to that in the photo. Mine are at least 10 oz each.
Old July 10, 2015   #15
ash7019
Tomatovillian™

OP is so impressed with the fine detective work - and appreciate it. (Seems like it's pretty narrowed down.) Only about 4 days later but here are a couple of more photos - the same one with a ruler, and of other clusters.