Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2015   #1
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm a TTF believer!

So I've only been using TTF since it got delivered on Sunday, but I'm already seeing improvement in my sad plant!!

My plant's got bad leaf damage/necrosis due to a magnesium deficiency that was caught too late (and now mealybugs all over the place). I was pretty sure it was ready to call it quits since it kept making little buds that never blossomed (the blossoms didn't drop, they just never existed).

Today, after a foliar feeding Sunday evening and including TTF when watering (2 TBSP to my 2 gal can) every day this week, I counted FOUR blossoms on my plant!! FOUR!!! The damaged leaves will never recover, but the new growth looks really good, dark green and fully formed, and now I have four tomatoes to look forward to!!! We've only really harvested four tomatoes total this year from this plant thanks to bugs and birds, so I'm just really happy and excited to see those pretty yellow flowers again after so long!

Last edited by TexasTycoon; July 16, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #2
DrTrish
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear!!! I just received my bottle in the mail yesterday and plan on using it tonight!
DrTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just picked a few tomatoes in the heat this evening and came in to cool off a bit at 8:00 and hope to go out and water later now that I'm already covered in DEET. Sad having to go out in the middle of the night to water but it is just too hot any other time and it heats up so early in the morning that I would have to start at 4 AM to get it done before it got too hot. At least starting this time of night it does get gradually cooler as you stay out there. I usually only apply TTF once a week and that seems adequate but with this heat and the stress it is putting on the plants I may do it more often.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #4
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

We rooted a branch that had all but broken off of the main plant during the winds and storms we had back in late May, and it was doing okay but not growing much (and growing more out than up anyway). When I went to put out some ladybugs last night (to help with my mealybug problem) I noticed that it has grown about half a foot vertically with tons of new leaves! My jalapeno plant is also flourishing with TTF. Hasn't even been a week and I'm convinced this stuff is a miracle in a bottle.
Old July 17, 2015   #5
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

double post

Last edited by TexasTycoon; July 17, 2015 at 08:47 AM. Reason: double post
Old July 17, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It is unlikely to see a noticeable difference in 4 days.
Sometimes a chain of co-incidents occur.
Like, you are having BER and sprinkle some eggshells and BER goes away shortly.
It can also be due to some perception. JMO

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #7
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
It is unlikely to see a noticeable difference in 4 days.
Sometimes a chain of co-incidents occur.
Like, you are having BER and sprinkle some eggshells and BER goes away shortly.
It can also be due to some perception. JMO

Gardeneer

Last edited by TexasTycoon; July 17, 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I know better than to argue with people on the internet
Old July 17, 2015   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I will argue because in 4 days the difference is visible every time I apply it. On small plants there is a definite improvement in just two days but larger plants take a bit longer I guess because there is just so much more vegetation that it is less noticeable.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #9
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Well I will argue because in 4 days the difference is visible every time I apply it. On small plants there is a definite improvement in just two days but larger plants take a bit longer I guess because there is just so much more vegetation that it is less noticeable.

Bill
Thank you! Glad to be affirmed by a more experienced gardener than myself.
Old July 17, 2015   #10
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Can't talk about TTF results as I've YET to try it, but I will say that changes can be seen in less than a day when growing hydroponically.. Soil of course is slower, but I wouldn't be surprised to see improvements within 4 days.. Although Gardeneer has a point - to give all the credit to TTF would be to ignore a multitude of variables that should be accounted for..

Also Texas, rather than rooting the broken branch you can just use some gardening tape, or duct tape to tightly secure it back to the branch it was broken off of - similar to grafting. They usually take within a day or two, and you can mist it if it goes limp.. Remove the tape after it regains turgidity, not to restrict future growth..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #11
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I'm still eating tomatoes of all shapes, sizes and varieties and still have some on the vine and even some that have formed in the last couple of weeks. While this summer isn't as hot as the last 4, we've still been at over 95 daily, high humidity and night cooling often only as low as 78. In other words, it is technically impossible that new tomatoes could form, but, some have ignored the rules. I have to think TTF is the reason why because little else has changed.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #12
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I second this statement. I can see improved changes in 2 days with TTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post

Bill
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Can't talk about TTF results as I've YET to try it, but I will say that changes can be seen in less than a day when growing hydroponically.. Soil of course is slower, but I wouldn't be surprised to see improvements within 4 days.. Although Gardeneer has a point - to give all the credit to TTF would be to ignore a multitude of variables that should be accounted for..

Also Texas, rather than rooting the broken branch you can just use some gardening tape, or duct tape to tightly secure it back to the branch it was broken off of - similar to grafting. They usually take within a day or two, and you can mist it if it goes limp.. Remove the tape after it regains turgidity, not to restrict future growth..

That is what i meant: "UNLIKELY", " NOTICEABLE". There would have been changes either way. How can you measure the effect of applying something ? Unless you do a side-by-side experiment on two ( or several) identical plants and measure growth or any other indicators.
We tend to perceive things, sometimes, the way they please us. Or that is what we like/want to believe. This might not be applicable to you but it is to me.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2015   #14
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post

Well since containers are kinda similar to hydroponic systems if I understand correctly, then that's probably also helping my results.

Oh and believe me, if you'd seen this plant last month you'd have laughed your head off. We had so much masking tape on this thing trying to save what branches we could it looked absolutely ridiculous. The whole plant got bent over by the strong winds, cage and all, so there was quite a bit of damage. The rooted branch was the worst and it was hanging on by a thread, so we just decided to chop it off and stick it in a pot and see what happened! Might get some fall tomatoes from it if we're lucky.
Old July 17, 2015   #15
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

That is what i meant: "UNLIKELY", " NOTICEABLE". There would have been changes either way. How can you measure the effect of applying something ? Unless you do a side-by-side experiment on two ( or several) identical plants and measure growth or any other indicators.
We tend to perceive things, sometimes, the way they please us. Or that is what we like/want to believe. This might not be applicable to you but it is to me.

Gardeneer
Like I said, I fully believed my main plant was about to call it quits. It is determinate, after all, and had already fruited. 90% of the leaves were damaged due to a magnesium deficiency and what fruit was left ripening was staying small. Any buds that could have been blossoms stalled out before turning into anything. I was pretty much just waiting for it to die, and every day it got worse. With the rooted branch, it was pretty much dormant. No new growth for at least two weeks and no signs of anything changing any time soon. I tried out TTF on them as a last resort to help balance the nutrients in my main plant and get the most out of the three tomatoes that were still growing on it, but it's far exceeded my expectations. There is no other factor that helped these plants. I have been trying to save my main plant since the damage it received Memorial Day weekend and it has only gotten progressively worse. The weather has only gotten hotter and drier. You are right, this was not a controlled experiment. But I'm telling you the only thing that has made a difference in my plants is TTF, and I don't think that's an outrageous claim at all. "Noticeable" is subjective. I notice every change in my plants because they're the only two tomato plants I have and I am checking them every single day. I notice when the leaves start to droop, I notice when stems perk up, I notice when four blossoms form over the course of a few days, and I certainly notice about a half foot of growth on a plant that was previously for all intents and purposes stagnant. You can think what you want, but all I know is TTF is the only tomato food for me and my plants for the foreseeable future. I can't wait to see what an impact it makes next year since my plants will be on it from the start (transplants, I know not to put it on seedlings).

Tags
texas tomato food , ttf