Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2015   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default tomato sizes

can't seem to find any thing on the subject. but could someone tell me what the actual size of tomatoes are as compaired to the weight . doesn't have to be exact, example would be like 5-6 oz. 8-10 oz. etc. tomato as seen in the description in catalog. how big around in inches? just a general estimate is all I'm looking for I know there are variables involved.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is a simple rule of thumb you can use.
Since tomatoes are mostly water you can get a measuring cup put water in it.
In other words an 8 oz tomato will be about the size of a cup of water but a little more.
Of course a dryer tomato will be bigger due to its lack of water.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #3
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
can't seem to find any thing on the subject. but could someone tell me what the actual size of tomatoes are as compaired to the weight . doesn't have to be exact, example would be like 5-6 oz. 8-10 oz. etc. tomato as seen in the description in catalog. how big around in inches? just a general estimate is all I'm looking for I know there are variables involved.
All what I'm saying below is approximate and subject to argument.

Cherry tomatoes (and I'll include 'grape' in here as well): are 1 oz or less.

Remember the tomatoes that were round and came 3 to a package in the Supermarket? Those are slicing-sized tomatoes and run about 5-6 oz (perhaps up to 8?)

Between them are 'saladette' tomatoes - too big for cherries (can't generally eat them in one bite), and too small to be considered 'slicers' I'd say 2-4 oz.

Above 8 oz and if the tomato is a still round and 'tomato' shaped you're getting into beefsteak territory (although beefsteak is also determined by the amount of 'meatiness' (i.e. less gel area).

Of tomatoes that are not 'tomato' shaped (i.e. oblate), there is a great variety in shapes and sizes. The oval ones are often considered 'pastes' but that really depends on how meaty and how dry they are (generally you want less moisture in a paste tomato.

Hope this helps.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Like Worth said tomatoes are mostly water and their specific gravity is almost like water.
So if a tomato has X ounces of volume it will weight approx. x ounces by weight.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2015   #5
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
If you assume tomatoes are shaped like a sphere (which we know not all are) and they have the same density as water, and if I did the math right, you'd get the following diameters (inches):

1 oz = 1.5" diameter
5 oz = 2.5"dia.
10 oz = 3.2" dia.
16 oz = 3.75" dia.

It seems like many of the bigger tomatoes tend to be more oblate than spherical, so they'd had a little larger diameter for a given weight.
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote