Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2017   #1
Lowcountry
Tomatovillian™

Default Triple 17 Fertilizer

Hi, everybody. New member here. I've been growing tomatoes along with other fruits and veggies with varying success over the last several years. This year, I have a lot of triple 17 left over from fall food plots I planted at my farm. My tomatoes have a fair amount of small fruits on them now so I'm going to apply some fertilizer to give them a boost. Any problems with using the triple 17? Thanks and look forward to learning from y'all.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

No problem. Triple 10, 12, 17, 18 granular are just plain vanilla fertilizers containing just NPK.
I usually add them early in the season when I am preparing my garden, to give them time to be fully implemented when I plant out.
But you can add/sprinkle them on the top of soil around the plants and scratch the soil a bite, cover with mulch. Now, as you water it will release the nutrients slowly. So you won't get instant gratificatio as you would do with liquid or readily water soluble fertilizers.

But be aware that they normally do not contain any elements (Ca, Fe, Mg , Mn, S ..) other than NPK, that plants need. (Read the label !) But for the money you pay for them you get the bigger bang for the buck. No bells, no jazz , no thrill ... just plan fertilizer.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The granular fertilizers won't start to break down until it rains. Phosphorous is by far the least mobile of the three elements in it. With sandy soil, you will get some movement. But with clay soil like mine, one needs to till it in before planting.

Phosphorous is mostly for blooming and setting fruit. Potassium will make the fruit larger, and possibly sweeter. I buy a lot of products from Morgan County Seed. They recommend alternating calcium nitrate with 4-18-38, for plants on drip irrigation with a fertilizer injector.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I was growing many hundreds of tomato varieties,back in the day, Charley,my farmer friend would prepare my field for me, and he had Roy,an older man drive the small Farmall tractor and side dress his stuff as well as mine.

Bags of triple 10 and triple 17 were stored at our farm. Roy never spread triple 17 straight out, he just changed the settings on the fertilizer hopper feed.

Too much of anything, like using straight triple 17 can and does predispose to many other problems.

Carolyn
Old May 8, 2017   #5
Lowcountry
Tomatovillian™

I have never used liquid fertilizers. Am I missing out? What should I be doing differently? Thanks.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I have never used liquid fertilizers. Am I missing out? What should I be doing differently? Thanks.
The only time I used liquid fertilizers was when Roy ( see my post above) couldn't get through the rows any more, plants had spread too far,and then I'd use Neptune Harvest liquid, either the fish one or the kelp one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nept...&bih=790&dpr=1

And it also depends on what you soil is like as to micro-nutrients as well as what your growing medium is like if growing in Containers of any kind.

Carolyn