Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 21, 2011   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default greensand

could anyone provide information about how they have used greensand and if there were any detectable results? any help would be appreciated. peppero.
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #2
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I used greensand many years ago when I was fully organic, but there was no way to tell if this one variable among many caused any improvement. I stopped using it when an agriculture scientist at Rutgers told me that its breakdown rate is so slow that its effectiveness as an available source of potassium for plants is essentially meaningless. I don't really know if that is true and would love to see some data.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

More importantly than potassium, greensand contains calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and more than thirty other trace minerals. It is said to bind sandy soils, which I have in spades. I use interchangeably with dried kelp in my garden beds as well as a component of my seed starting mix.

I'm happy with my results but I've never done side-by-side tests to measure any improvement. I see it as just one component of a diverse mineral diet for my soil.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #4
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

as 41 said, it is a great source of micronutrients... does break down slowly however...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #5
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Default sources?

None of the nurseries or big box stores in my area (Sierra Nevada foothills east of Stockton) sell greensand, and the ag suppliers I've called in the valley aren't interested in small sales. I hate to pay shipping on orders, too, so I would rather pick stuff up when I'm in the valley on other business. Anybody know a supplier in the Stockton or Sacramento area of California where greensand, phosphate rock, etc. are available in smaller (100 lbs or so) quantities, at reasonable cost? Dave
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

when i moved here 12 years ago i added it to my new garden but not since. as noted it is slow to break down, iirc it is 7 years. seems adding compost at all plantings with leaves each fall and manure every 5 years i'm covered.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #7
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default greensand

thanks for all the replies. i just hope i helps. peppero
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #8
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespitzer View Post
None of the nurseries or big box stores in my area (Sierra Nevada foothills east of Stockton) sell greensand, and the ag suppliers I've called in the valley aren't interested in small sales. I hate to pay shipping on orders, too, so I would rather pick stuff up when I'm in the valley on other business. Anybody know a supplier in the Stockton or Sacramento area of California where greensand, phosphate rock, etc. are available in smaller (100 lbs or so) quantities, at reasonable cost? Dave
Emigh hardware in Sacramento has Whitney Farms Greensand in 5 lb boxes. about $5 each.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #9
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

if you don't find a better price: an amazon seller has it for 9.00 + 19.00 shipping for 40 lbs
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #10
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
I used greensand many years ago when I was fully organic, but there was no way to tell if this one variable among many caused any improvement. I stopped using it when an agriculture scientist at Rutgers told me that its breakdown rate is so slow that its effectiveness as an available source of potassium for plants is essentially meaningless. I don't really know if that is true and would love to see some data.

TomNJ
I'd have to disagree with that. I work with an agriculture consultant who manages nutrient programs on farms and he said in a highly biologically active soil environment you'll see the first K response in about 6 months. He said it lasts up to about 3 years. In more 'dead' soil it'll probably take up to 10 years to break down. He uses greensand in areas where there's lower rainfall because he cannot use K sulfates, such as langbeinite (K-Mag), due to sulfur buildup.

As others said a good source of trace minerals/elements and iron. Also a great soil conditioner.

Quote:
It is said to bind sandy soils, which I have in spades.
You should try a product from Advancing Eco Agriculture called HumaCarb. It's an ultra micronized lignite and should really help you. Very inexpensive at like $12 (?) a gallon and a little goes a long way. They are the manufacturer also so direct from the source. The stuff really works.
TerraGenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #11
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
Emigh hardware in Sacramento has Whitney Farms Greensand in 5 lb boxes. about $5 each.

Rick
Thanks Rick- I need larger quantities than that, have to cover a lot of so-so soil. But I do appreciate the info! Dave
Old March 31, 2011   #12
TerraGenics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davespitzer View Post
Thanks Rick- I need larger quantities than that, have to cover a lot of so-so soil. But I do appreciate the info! Dave
Try Peaceful Valley.
TerraGenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #13
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

I'll do that! Thanks again! Dave