Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 19, 2015   #1
unluckyPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Topping chili pepper plants for higher yield

Hey guys,

as I started my chilis little too early this year and they got a bit spindly, I've decided to top half of them and compare the results throught the season.

I've planted 12 varieties, 2 plants each and topped one of them 2 months after sowing (mid March). The root system was already nicely developed and the cut was made below the first Y (plants were quite big at the time, ± half of the plant was removed).

Pictures show the plants 2 weeks after topping. Picture on the right was taken another 2 weeks later (1 month after topping).

Cheiro Roxa

Caramel Bhut Jolokia:

Aji Rico:

Aji Habanero:

There are more pictures of remaining varieties (Pimenta de Neyde, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Fatalii, Super Chili, Fire Flame...) on my blog at http://unluckypete.com/2015/04/chili-plant-topping/

I'll post updates through the season.

p.

Last edited by unluckyPete; April 19, 2015 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typos
unluckyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #2
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Interesting Pete. Please keep us updated.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #3
vodreaux
Tomatovillian™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1BtTNIIcY

There are several video about it.
vodreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #4
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any experience topping peppers. But, I overwintered a Trinidad Scorpion that never produced last year. Not enough sunlight, and maybe planted a little late for my zone.

It has come back very nicely, and now hardened off. I'll probably plant it out in a week.

From your pictures the stalks of the plants look much thicker, after topping. So this might just work if you have a longish growing season?

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I usually never top my peppers. When i grow them in containers i trim them like a tree until they are a foot to 18 inches tall then i let them take off. Nice pic comparison though.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote