Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2015   #1
Bruinwar
Tomatovillian™

Default This year's line-up so far

This year's line-up so far...

Garden Peach -- one of my favorites. Big producer, very tasty. Yellow salsa!
Purple Tomatillo -- Mixed with Garn Peach makes the best green salsa ever!
Carmello -- new
Black Russian -- new

The majority of my plants are bought in May. I plan to put in 8 or more varieties. I only start from seed the stains I find difficult to locate. There is still time to change... the two new strains are Black Russian & Carmello.

I've always wanted to try Black Russian. Anyone have experience & want to share about this heirloom? I love all the blacks. Purple Cherokee & Black Krim are some of my favorites.

The Carmello is supposed to be a French hybrid & disease resistant. Disease was a huge problem for the last two years I really need a few that are resistant. It was suggested as a replacement for my Rudger's that died early on last year with not a single tomato from six plants. I hope to use them a canner. Thoughts?

Regards,
Tomato Joe
Bruinwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is my first year of growing Purple Tomatillos. I had never seen a plant until I started some earlier this year. In the picture, the plant on the left is a green tomatillo. On the right is a purple tomatillo. I'm curious if that is how a purple tomatillo plant is supposed to look like? The leaves are really interesting.

Your lineup is looking good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0059.JPG (50.3 KB, 42 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How awful that all your Rutger's died. Was it disease that clobbered them, or could it be that your soil could do with some more nutrients? Just a thought.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinwar View Post
The Carmello is supposed to be a French hybrid & disease resistant. Disease was a huge problem for the last two years I really need a few that are resistant. It was suggested as a replacement for my Rudger's that died early on last year with not a single tomato from six plants. I hope to use them a canner. Thoughts?

Regards,
Tomato Joe
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #4
Bruinwar
Tomatovillian™

ALSalt: That sure looks similar to what I remember my Purple Tomatillos seedlings looked like. A real hearty plant that did OK, not great, just OK in the disaster that was my garden 2014. I don't have any pics yet because of the lack of space, I have a greenhouse starting my seeds this year. I will be stopping by the greenhouse every couple weeks for pics so I should be able to post some soon.

Linda: It might be the soil, I do not know, I'm really still a newb. I used Tomatotone as my food last year. I did have a ton of different symptoms of disease though. My disease avoidance battle will be on a new thread on the disease forum. This year I do plan on laying down some sheep manure & continuing the Tomatotone.

Thanks for the responses!!
Tomato Joe
Bruinwar is offline   Reply With Quote