Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default It's finally time to plant!

It took a lot of patience, but I made it to April 17 (actually the 18th now) and have a good 10 day forecast. Most lows are 50's and 60's till the end of the month, and then it will get even warmer.

These kids have been ready to get out and get their feet in the dirt and have the chance to grow and become great tomatoes! I've been thinking of this since late December, and now it's time to actually get them planted.

We have great weather for it today. Very overcast, a little mist and drizzle now and then, and maybe rain tonight. I hope by tomorrow afternoon (Saturday, 4-19) I will have my first batch in, around 40 or so, planted 6 to a 4X12 bed, with offset planting. Hope to have some pics for ya soon!

Who else is planting out this week-end?

Don
Excited
Old April 18, 2008   #2
Leroy
Tomatovillian™

Good luck.
I am going to wait 10 more days.We had a freeze last week. It took my potatoes down to the ground.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was able to plant out on Tuesday. We'd had a pretty decent amount of rain leading up to that so I had to wait for things to dry out a bit. The forecast here looks good. We're starting a nice stretch of days in the 70's and nights in the 50's and 60'. Good growing to all!
Old April 18, 2008   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

You go girl!! Mine went in today. Same here, 10 day forcast looks good too. Almost six weeks to the day they went in. Seems alot longer though but I'm sure with the ones I picked this year, I'll be happy. Plus, wifey wants her computer room back, without the dirt smell.

Good luck and enjoy getting those hands dirty !!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #5
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

70 high and 50 low represents our average July/August Temperatures. We had a 72 degree day last week and I thought my Bulldog and i were going to have a heatstroke. We survived and will experience 33 degree lows this weekend.
Jim
Old April 18, 2008   #6
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

I put out 16 pepper plants, 7 squash plants and 60 okra plants yesterday. I'm hoping to get 40 of my tomatoes out Sunday. Got my 50' x 100' plot tilled and hope to get some of it planted week after next.
Old April 18, 2008   #7
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I planted out Wednesday and distributed plants to my co-workers. The rest of the giveaways will be this weekend and then I will post the breakdown. Weather forecast calls for 70's for highs and 50's for lows for the most part. Looks promising. Just have to make it past May 1.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #8
tache
Tomatovillian™

I got a few planted last Saturday. I'll do a few more this Saturday. I got tired of waiting for the nights to get out of the thirties. The water walls are keeping them all cozy.but but but when is summer coming?
tache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008   #9
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

The rain kept me from planting this afternoon when a good drizzle set in for a few hours. But at least I'll have moist soil for tomorrow! If it doesn't rain anymore.

The day before planting is like Christmas Eve to a tomato person!

Don
Old April 19, 2008   #10
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I always put out a couple plants early, at risk, in mid-April. If the forcast holds up, I'll put a couple of plants in tomorrow, with the main plant out not for another week or so. Even though the day and night temps are reasonable, we've had such a cool April that the ground is still not very warm. Hopefully that will be taken care of in another few weeks.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2008   #11
HakaiRah
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Planting

I hadn't planned on planting until around May 10th, but the forecast for the next ten days has the lows in the forties and the 18 plants I put in today were started back in February and had really reached the point where they had to go in or be potted up into containers the size of which I don't have. I already have replacements started so while I'll be sad if we do get a frost, it won't be a huge deal.

Now I'll just cross my fingers and count on global warming to bring my garden luck. The other element in favor of putting them in early is the prevailing winds strip warmth from our driveway keeping the garden area warmer than normal. The frost pattern seems to indicate they may be safe even if some areas do frost. Time will tell.
HakaiRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2008   #12
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I got 24 planted today and hope to do another 24 Monday afternoon, which will complete by raised bed plantings here in town. And like you, mine are ready to get in the ground. They are more tired of waiting than I am!

Don
Old April 23, 2008   #13
raydawg
Tomatovillian™

Start the Clock...Planted one week after my last avg frost date. Last night I got all twelve varieties in my new raised bed. My three year old son helped dig the holes and pick the strongest seedlings(of course I gave him only the best ones to pick from anyway). I am planting brandyboy on my deck in 25 and 30 gal containers, along with dwarfs, but that will be this weekend. Now it feels like spring.
Old April 23, 2008   #14
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I feel like I can plant mine out too! It's been in the 70's for a week now, late June weather for up here. My 3 week old seedlings are loving this They have been outdoors every day since they were a mere 12 days old.

If this keeps up they may go in Mother's Day instead of Memorial Day.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #15
kurtamundo
Tomatovillian™

I'm more than ready to plant mine, but I'm going to wait until May 1st or so.
kurtamundo is offline   Reply With Quote