Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Bush Varieties

I'm seeing the usual Bush and determinate varieties in nurseries and discount centers, plus some new ones. I don't have much experience with any of the Bush varieties, believing that the fruit produced was small to medium size. I'm hearing that this is not always true.

What are some of the best bush varieties out there with medium and larger fruit? I was curious if the bush varieties reach a growth/foliage maturity and then put most of their energy into fruit production. I'm hearing they produce buckets of tomatoes, but on the medium and smaller side.

Just curious because I really don't know much about them at all. Maybe some of you can offer info.

Thanks!

Don
Old April 22, 2008   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Don,

One variety that comes to my mind that is det. and large-fruited is Krasnodor Titans (http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...asnodor_Titans)

... and a couple of heart-shaped Russian tomatoes -

Tyazheloves Sibiri - http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...heloves_Sibiri

Fidelio - http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/Fidelio

It is likely that you'll find this type of tomatoes among modern Russian varieties, as many Russian breeders bred determinates to grow under cover and/or for concentrated harvest.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2008   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

A list of some det. varieties (not necessary large-fruited!) can be viewed here:http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...inate_Tomatoes

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; April 23, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old April 23, 2008   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Always grew Bush Champion and was never unhappy. Can't believe what this little plant puts out. This year I'm running it side by side with New Big Dwarf and see what's my best container plant. NBD has it's work cut out for it.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Tyazheloves Sibiri has been bred specially by Siberian breeders for Siberian growing conditions among many new Siberian varieties. There is a trend and State order for breeding institutes for determinates for growing outdoor and indoor in former Soviet Union countries. Also there are some private breeders who prefer to bred for such flexible vareities with rather compact plant height and fruits of different sizes here...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 23, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania, I know you had Sophie's Choice on your list of large fruited det varieties, but I feel so positive about it that I wanted to mention it separately.

Also, what do you really think of Krasnodor Titans that you mentioned above?

I know that I was the first to list that in the SSE Yearbook but I had really mixed feelings about it on two counts: not for fresh eating IMO, and it has the thickest walls I've ever seen on a variety except for Santa Clara Canner and Diener, a derivative of SCC.
Old April 23, 2008   #7
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I agree with your assessment - Krasnodor Titans is definitely not for fresh eating (too firm and tough in my opinion). This is what I had posted at TOMATObase, if you did not followed the link:

Quote:
98 days, det., dense regular dark green foliage, large round red tomatoes, 8-17 oz, blemish-free firm round fruit that keeps very well after picking, very high yields. I would not grow it for taste, but it is very good for canning.
Btw, I do not consider Sophie's Choice to be a 'large' tomato - I think it fits 'medium' category.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old April 23, 2008   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

What's the practical difference in a bush and a dwarf?

Don
Old April 23, 2008   #9
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What's the practical difference in a bush and a dwarf?
Dwarf's are not originally determinate, just a very compact
type of plant that may fruit all season like an indeterminate. Bush types are almost always determinate.

A thorough discussion of the dwarf type on DG:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/778581/
Old April 23, 2008   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Dwarves are known for rugose foliage and a very upright plant habit. They rarely need support until heavy fruitset (and then those conical cages at Wal-Mart can be used).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Btw, I do not consider Sophie's Choice to be a 'large' tomato - I think it fits 'medium' category.

When speaking of early determinates I guess I consider the fruits of Sophie's Choice, usually in the 6-8 oz range, to be large. For non-dets I'd call it medium. Just my opinion.

And no, said Carolyn hanging her head in shame, I didn't follow the link for KT.

I'm glad we agree on Krasnodor Titans. I'd almost call the fruits forever fruits b'c they stayed fine on the vine for so long and even after picking them they sat there for a very long time before they started to shrivel.
Old April 23, 2008   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

All dwarves are not rugose. My definition of a dwarf tomato plant is any plant, when mature, that is 3.4 feet and no taller.
Old April 23, 2008   #13
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

mdvpc..... WHY Can't a mature 3.5 ft. plant be a dwarf??.... lol......

Last edited by cottonpicker; April 23, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: humor
cottonpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
All dwarves are not rugose. My definition of a dwarf tomato plant is any plant, when mature, that is 3.4 feet and no taller.
Then Bush Celebrity, Bush Goliath, etc. would fit that definition. Very confusing IMO.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2008   #15
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

EM Champion, Volgradskiye 323, Naliv

Last edited by Deer Park; April 24, 2008 at 08:11 AM.
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote