Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 26, 2008   #1
violet0996
Tomatovillian™

Default Improved Colossal Golden

I've not been able to find a description of this variety, does anyone have any information on it? I'm hoping you'll tell me it's supposed to be PL. This one has been out in the garden for three weeks and is nine weeks from seed. Thanks!

Dawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Improved Colossal Golden.JPG (89.9 KB, 22 views)
violet0996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.victoryseeds.com/catalog/...to_orange.html

The above is a link to Victory Seeds where it's shown and discussed. There are quite a few other mentions via Google.

And while the leaf picture at Victory I think could be better it's stated elsewhere that it is RL, not PL and if it was bred from Ponderosa Yellow then with all the various Ponderosa's being RL that makes sense to me.

What was the source of your seeds?
Old April 26, 2008   #3
violet0996
Tomatovillian™

I can't seem to locate the packet at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it was Craig in NC. It was definitely labelled 'Golden', not 'Yellow', which is what I found at the VS site. Are they the same tomato?
Old April 26, 2008   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet0996 View Post
I can't seem to locate the packet at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it was Craig in NC. It was definitely labelled 'Golden', not 'Yellow', which is what I found at the VS site. Are they the same tomato?
Maybe what Craig sent you was Isbell's Golden Colossal and not the one bred by Burgess as Improved Yellow Colossal.

But the words yellow and golden are often used interchangably since with few exceptions most varieties with yellow as part of the name do turn golden at maturity.

In case Craig doesn't see this thread why don't you PM him and ask which variety he was more likely to have sent you since you can't find your seed packet?
Old April 26, 2008   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Wow - I actually have all four of the old Burgess varieties - Colossal Red, Crimson, Golden and Yellow, all from the USDA (via GRIN). I found the Red and Yellow to be fine, but the Crimson (small red cherry tomatoes) and Golden (oblate ugly reds) to be crossed. Not all did, though - someone else got a large regular leaf orange tomato from it. (listed in the SSE).

Should definitely be regular leaf, though. The amount of obviously crossed seed coming out of the USDA via GRIN was depressing!

Isbell Golden Colossal is another story - regular leaf, a nice bright yellow with a pale pink blush. (very similar to Improved Colossal Yellow).
Old April 27, 2008   #6
violet0996
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Craig, that might explain why I didn't try to grow it out again after or save seeds after my first attempt. This was my last seed. I'll be curious as to what it turns out to be. It has no flowers yet.