Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2017   #1
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Need a PL Red With Excellent Taste

Would anyone have a recommendation for a great tasting potato leafed Red?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2017   #2
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Marsha....I have always enjoyed Brandywine OTV. It is a good producer and the flavor is excellent.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have not grown this one myself, but Husky Red is one that several people have sent me F2,3,4 versions . I don't know if rugose means potato leaf, but it looks the same to me. The F1s, I have read that they taste great from friends here who have grown them.

I wish I could help you more. I prefer RL varieties.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I can't remember ever growing a potato leaf red that was great tasting. In fact the only two I can recall were rather small early ones that weren't outstanding in flavor and they were Matina and Stupice. Lots of great pink tomatoes with PL.

Two years ago I had a fluke that I saved seed from that I call Brandywine Sudduth Red. The plant and fruit were identical as far as I could see until the fruit ripened and it was obviously a red. It was a fantastic tomato and could have been some cross with Sudduth or one of those weird things that sometimes happen with a variety. If you would like me to send you some seed just PM me. It might well be worth the trouble. I am hoping to grow them out this year and see if it is stable.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Mikado from Tania, the biggest surprise for me last year. Sorry, this tomato is not red!
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 9, 2017 at 04:09 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #6
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I would like to toss Linda's Faux into the ring. She is always the prettiest plant in the garden, with all the same great qualities of one of her parents, Aker's West Virginia. I have not grown her in a container, because she gets quite large.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecktom View Post
Marsha....I have always enjoyed Brandywine OTV. It is a good producer and the flavor is excellent.
I forgot about OTV! I have seeds for that too. Thanks Gene.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I have not grown this one myself, but Husky Red is one that several people have sent me F2,3,4 versions . I don't know if rugose means potato leaf, but it looks the same to me. The F1s, I have read that they taste great from friends here who have grown them.

I wish I could help you more. I prefer RL varieties.
Salt, you are trying, so it is helpful. Karen and I are thinking of a breeding project, that's why the PL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I can't remember ever growing a potato leaf red that was great tasting. In fact the only two I can recall were rather small early ones that weren't outstanding in flavor and they were Matina and Stupice. Lots of great pink tomatoes with PL.

Two years ago I had a fluke that I saved seed from that I call Brandywine Sudduth Red. The plant and fruit were identical as far as I could see until the fruit ripened and it was obviously a red. It was a fantastic tomato and could have been some cross with Sudduth or one of those weird things that sometimes happen with a variety. If you would like me to send you some seed just PM me. It might well be worth the trouble. I am hoping to grow them out this year and see if it is stable.
Bill
Brandywine Suddth Red? That sounds intriguing. May I take you up on your kind offer after you see if they are stable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I would like to toss Linda's Faux into the ring. She is always the prettiest plant in the garden, with all the same great qualities of one of her parents, Aker's West Virginia. I have not grown her in a container, because she gets quite large.
I haven't heard of that one, thanks Nancy. I will do my research.

Vladimir, thank you for the suggestion, our project will require red color.
Old January 9, 2017   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Also, Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic for a great tasting early beefsteak. I include this and the above variety every year.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Also, Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic for a great tasting early beefsteak. I include this and the above variety every year.
Nancy early is even better since Karen has a short season. She will be doing the cross.
Old January 9, 2017   #10
crankyoldfart
Tomatovillian™

Mat-Su Express from AKMark?
crankyoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankyoldfart View Post
Mat-Su Express from AKMark?
Hey was kind enough to send me seeds. I did not know it was red and PL. It is on my August starts grow list.Thank you.
Old January 9, 2017   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I'll second "Linda's Faux" and also Barlow Jap. If you need seed for either one shoot me a PM with your addy.

Ami
Old January 9, 2017   #13
natural
Tomatovillian™

I second Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic. It does well for me in the humid southeast. Early, productive and tastes good. I think it is a cross of Brandywine and Stupice.

My other choice for a potato leaf red is Italian Sweet from TGS. It is mid-season for me. Tastes great.

Let me know if you want seeds for either or both.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #14
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

When Bill Jeffers first released Texwine, he said expect 25% PL plants. I have
seed from a PL Texwine (he asked that it be called another name but I haven't heard if it was given one). The ziplock is marked "plant this" so I gather it was
a very good tomato. You're welcome to seeds if it's not too late of a variety.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #15
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I second the Brandywine OTV- excellent production, great disease resistance, and a fantastic flavor. I will be growing it again this year!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote