Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Baxter's Early Bush Cherry (PVP)?

While looking through the TGS web site at cherry tomatoes, this immediately caught my eye!

I did a little research and found the patent certificate which indicated that it was issued in 1985 and was shown as expired in 2003. I actually read much of the certificate, and was really surprised that it was issued for what appeared to be conventional breeding and selection. Does anyone know any more to this story? I couldn't find any challenges cited.

I also remember that another PVP was applied for another U.S. OP tomato, but I don't believe that a certificate was ever issued. (Can't remember the name.) And I believe there are cases where specialized genetic material is listed as the "novelty" (sometimes GMO).

BTW, I know this is a contentious issue with many folks, and I'm not trying to open up a can of worms. But I am curious about this Baxter certificate (for purely academic reasons).

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote