Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 27, 2010   #1
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

Default I was afraid of having to actually ask about something

So, naturally, Murphy's Law strikes.

Just noticed these leaves today on my Gold Medal plant. One reminds me of Septoria leaf spot, but no fruiting bodies are present, and I'm definitely not sure about the black spots. There's nothing on the stem, either. The only thing I've done to the plant since sticking it in the ground was give it a fish emulsion fertilizer applied directly to the soil today.

Can it be attributed to general crankiness over being overwatered (transplanted right before a solid three days of nonstop torrential downpours), or is this something serious?

Sorry for the trouble. Any help would be appreciated. eek!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldmedal-blackspots.jpg (757.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg goldmedal-blackandwhite1.jpg (728.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by discrepancy; May 27, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
discrepancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010   #2
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

Two more branches of the same plant turned up with this today. They were fine yesterday. Lopped them both off, checked the inside of the stem (nothing was wrong with it), and hit the plant (along with the rest of the veggie patch) with Daconil. Will be picking up another Gold Medal plant as a backup in case things go horribly wrong, if I can find one.
Old May 28, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is hard to tell from those two photos; but it could possibly be the dreaded TSWV. When it first appears it seems quite benign but it isn't. Look at the photos in the attached link and see if it is the same thing. Usually the plant will look very sick 7 to 10 days after it is first noticed and there is no cure but pulling it up. I hope what you have isn't TSWV.

http://www.google.com/images?q=TSWV&...ed=0CC4QsAQwAw
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010   #4
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

There's no wilt on any of the leaves and no discolored rings around the outside of the speckles, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just septoria leaf spot. Hitting it with Daconil after slicing the infected leaf stalks off seems to have stopped the spread of it to the last remaining leaf stalk. (I'll be picking up another plant today anyway if I can find one, just in case.)

Thanks for the help.
Old June 1, 2010   #5
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

I've had plants do this both from the cold (though I'm guessing that's not your prob in NC) and also from fert or nutrient problems. A bunch of mine did that last year before I set them outside.
Old June 3, 2010   #6
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

The Gold Medal is doing fine now -- wouldn't call it 'perfect', but there are no more specks popping up on any of the leaves, and it's sending out new leaf stalks. It'll look less pathetic in a week or two, I think. The Daconil seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help, guys!