Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 15, 2012   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Using a web flat to move seeds directly into a raise bed!

The raised bed meets the square foot gardner. Organizing a raised bet to use the square foot method may work great! Planting seeds diectly into a raised bed works fine but what if you had a Web flat that had a a bottom made with shredded paper or a single sheet of paper or even a thin burlap! the advanage is to plant lets say lettuce in the web flat. You thin whatever plant you start in the web flat so the plant will grow to maturity in the flat that is placed in the garden or the raised bed!
+++
The flat is set in the garden and a mulch is added to bring the flat at a height of the even with the mulch. Alo a border between flats would be like 4 to 6 inches! Now you have what looks like square foot gardening with a 11 by 21 inch flat that allows the plant roots to grow through its bottom into the ground its set upon!
+++
The advantages are many like bugs do not eat the young plants since you don't set them out till they are a nice size. Little or no weeds., excellent spacing!. I see many more advantages so help me list them? I can see 2 dozen peas in one flat!Having a border between flats allows plants to be planted a inch from the edge of the flat. Even bigger crops would work good in the flay like broccoli, peppers or any small seed that is hard to get going with direct planting! Much healthier plants with your own home brewed soil in the flat!