Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 23, 2014   #1
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Default Help/Tips on deompressing Pro MIx Compressed Bales Please...

Hi All!

I have 2 bales of 3.8 cu.ft. of pro mix bx that I need to use for the planting of my EBs and I am looking for ideas, tips/advise as to how to de-compress the bales and work with the potting mix...is this mix hard inside as it seems in the outside as it is compressed? How do I de-compress the mix and use it?...

I am disabled and have a lot of back pain so I need tips/advise as to how to do so without having to rely on others all the time when I want to get an EB started...any suggestions on how to make this process is greatly appreciated...

Blessings, Jenny
jenarzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It is a pain for me too, and I am not disabled. Water seems to help, plus it keeps you from breathing in particulate matter.

You might try getting some sort of large bin, like a mortar mixing tub or a small child's wading pool. Put water in it and dump the compressed bale into the water. Let it sit for a little while, and the water will wick up into the bale. It will grow like a sponge. When it's wet, it should fall apart easily in your hand.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I use a metal flour scoop to dig it out and transfer smaller amounts to a mixing tote (to then add microbark and perlite). The scoop works very well, for this ole guy.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #4
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Default thank you both!

thank you guys! Blessings, Jenny

if I can get help, the in would be faster...and if I'm by my lonesome the flour scoop will be great...both advice are great!!!
Old March 23, 2014   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Those bales weigh north of 50 pounds! I even struggle hauling them around - I can't imagine you being able to lift it into a mixer - so, a (flour) scoop at a time is your safer method.....

Raybo
Old March 23, 2014   #6
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Rnewste...is it very tightly compressed when you open the bag? Will i e able to scoop into the bale with no issues?
Old March 23, 2014   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The phrase "compressed" is not accurate, in my view. When you open the bag - the flap doesn't suddenly fly up and slap you in the face with mix rapidly uncompressing - - I would instead define the ProMix packaging to be "tightly wrapped".

Just slit an area open large enough to get the scoop inside to remove the mix - inserting a water hose in the opening for a minute or so will help you to scoop it out.

Raybo
Old March 23, 2014   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I go thru 10-12 bales a year.First I put on a good double banded face particle dust mask,head covering, gloves and a long sleeve shirt.I get them into the largest 50 plus gallon heavy ply plastic contractor bags.Then I cut the top of Pro Mix bag and open up as you would like a envelope with a razor knife.Then with a small army trench tool/shovel you start digging out the inside center to the awaiting 5 gallon pails or wheelbarrow.In the meantime misting as you go to activate the Mycos and to keep the fine dust out off/on/in your body.Do not mist more than you need at the time of potting etc.Do not want to activate any contaminant transfer from tools and air if possible.The contactor bags will keep the overflow in check as not to waste any.Seal bag shut when done.Cut trim original packaging as needed during extraction.It breaks up easy once you get to loosen it up.Have Fun!
Old March 23, 2014   #9
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

I have one of those plastic 15 qt carts on wheels from amazon.com...
how much mix do you suggest I transfer at a time (in my condition being disabled)...I need to fill earthboxes...I only want to wet down what I would use...and the contractor black bags is a good idea so I can control any mess made opening and scooping from the bag...

any other set-up advice that would make things easier?
Old March 23, 2014   #10
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

I also have some blocks (3) of coconut coir that was gifted to me by a friend...can I mix the pro mix w coco coir to extend the expensive pro mix? I'm afraid to experiment as I will be using this in the earthbox and I need a good wicking mix from what I understand...any advice to save money is a blessing as disability income limits my expenses in the garden...

I am really looking forward to trying a few earthtainers in the fall season (August for FL?)...any advice with the earthtainers are a huge blessing as well!

Old March 23, 2014   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/sup...rvice-growers/
At thier site on the chart they give some indication on amounts needed.Might have to do some math /conversion to EB quantitys.Look at their Potting Gude option
Old March 23, 2014   #12
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

Thanx Kurt!
Old March 24, 2014   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I go through 200-300 bales, and have found it best to hit them a couple of times with a bat. Place the beaten bale, on its side, on a table, on a large 4'x4' piece of cardboard, or plywood. Cut off the top and side facing the center of plywood and scoop it into containers. We do this for my 86 year old grandma when she comes over and wants to plant, and it works well.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Jenny, I too have a very bad back (and neck, and and and). As others have said above, I open the top, and use a metal grain scoop to add to my mixing tub which sits right beside. The material is not tightly compressed, but sometimes I find it necessary to use one of my hand cultivators to loosen it up a bit in order to use the scoop. I find that using hot water makes it easier to re-hydrate. Also easier on arthritic hands when potting up in a cold garage in March when it is probably still minus 20 outside. I have my mixing tub up on a few blocks so that it is a comfortable height to work while sitting. A 12 inch wide board can be placed across the top and used while potting on etc.
Old March 25, 2014   #15
jenarzo
Tomatovillian™

ahhhh...great suggestions...oy boy I can only imagine the pain you go thru in a cold shed! Cold makes me go into spasms...oy vey...my heart goes out to you as I am in central Fl...but your suggestions are spot on and I will keep them in mind when I go to work with the pro mix this weekend...I'm currently bed-ridden cause I did too much in the house...as soon as I recuperate it's the gardens turn...lol...

warm hug from Fl...Jenny

Tags
pro mix bx compressed bales