Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 3, 2014   #1
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Smart Pots Soft-Sided 100 gallon Container

Hello Everyone,
I live in Victorville, CA. Bad winds and lousy dirt. I have a large yard with some limited wind protection in one area were I am growing everything in containers.
I have a large industrial cart that I can put more then the 100 gallon smart pot on and move around to keep in sun and protect from the wind.
Most plants are still only less then a foot high since I have transplanted twice and have a very thick root . I would like to plant some companion plants, garlic , basil or something or should I just go tomato only.

My question is can I transplant my indeterminate tomato and or other plants of 7 to 10 gallon containers into the 100 gallon smart pot ?
How should I treat the amount of plants into this type of container ?
Would 7 plants allowing for 15 gallons per plant ?
Any advice would on using the Smart pot soft sided container would be appreciated.

Thank you
mick5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

measurements would be better . Like 48 inch wide ,48 tall and 48 deep , this was just an example
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #3
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Default Specs for 100 gallon Smart pot

Product Dimensions: 38 x 38 x 20 inches
Old May 3, 2014   #4
ohiofem
Tomatovillian™

I would treat it like a 10 square foot raised garden and plant no more than four or five indeterminate tomatoes in it. I grow my tomatoes one to a container of 20 to 25 gallon smart pots. I used to do 2 in a 25 gallon pot, but found that I had more problems with disease, needed to prune more and got no better yield from two plants than one. The problem is the spacing between plants should probably be 20-24 inches, and you'd be pretty crowded with 7 tomatoes in there. How are you going to cage or stake them?
ohiofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Why not use a smaller container and plant individual plants in each - that way you to can tend to each one's need. I grow mine in 5 gallon homedepot buckets. This year I'm trying two in a 7gallon root pouch.. experimenting.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #6
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I grow my tomatoes in 10 and 15 gallon smart pots in mo. and that seems to work fine for me. The last time I did we had 100+ temp. I had to water twice a day. I use mixture of 65 % promix and 35% Black Kow manure .
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014   #7
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

I am new to this and they had this for $25.00 on Amazon( 100 gallon versus $9.00 for 10 10 gallon seemed like a deal.) It seems pretty stable. I have 8 Tomato plants in 10 gallon pots and 8 Chile in 5 to the 7 gallon pots. My brother gave me enough soil to fill it ,he had delivered from a nursery so just trying to see the best use for this.
Open to any ideas. It is 38 x 38 x 20 inches
Thanks
Old May 4, 2014   #8
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Even with that width, I would not even put more than 3 tomatoes. Like Ohiofem said, you need 24 inches and grow bags are not like a raised bed with rigid sides. I used grow bags last year - and I tried to put two in a 25 gallon bag, a disaster. If possible, a grow bag of that size could be great for herbs or even eggplants if you like eggplant. Another option would be cucumbers. Just my opinion...
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #9
falconblack
Tomatovillian™

We use flax straw bales.They work great as raised beds.We grow tomatoes,peppers,squash etc.They hold moisture really well and no weeds.
falconblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #10
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Thank You,

I think I will make the 100 gallon smart pot for herbs . So I found a Hydroponics store that has 15 gallon nursery black plastic containers (decent quality) for 7.00 each,20 gallon for $10.00. I do not care how they look.
So last question would you recommend the smart pots over plastic containers as a general rule. And if I had to make a choice as I buy these witch would you recommend the smart pot for if I had to compromise on budget . Tomato's or peppers in the smart pots. The other in plastic containers
Old May 5, 2014   #11
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I really liked smart pots for tomatoes. You have to fertilize with a very weak dose at least once a day yo every couple of days. And you have to water frequently if it's hot, sometimes twice a day. Smart pots drain well and are breathable. I highly recommend them for tomatoes and eggplants too.
Old May 11, 2014   #12
topazgirl170
Tomatovillian™

@Sharon Rossy. I used slow release organic fert. in my smart pots when transplanting. I started foliar spray when they were around 2 or 3 weeks in the smart pot. Also, compost tea works really well in a smart pot. I'm not an experienced gardener though. I experimented and it came out great.

I used cocoa hulls mulch and I didn't have any issues. I've read pros and cons in using cocoa mulch. The smell alone for the first week is worth is
topazgirl170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Topaz girl, I also use a slow release fertilizer when planting but because of the frequently watering and the quick draining with true smart pots, I still use a weak dose of a water soluble fertilizer once they are established every couple of days.