Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 12, 2014   #1
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Default Two in One

Last year I had just 3 tomato plants. I wanted more! But alas, my growing space is rather limited. So in an effort to try making the most out of my space, I bought a 25 gallon container and filled it for two plants. I planted them a little over a foot apart. This is a sub irrigated job. I cut off an inside piece of the lid and used that as a platform for the soil. Under that I used plastic containers as supports (punctured to allow water inside) and two containers to support the soil wick, one for each plant. I have drainage and filling openings on one side.

I'm hoping this works and that there doesn't end up being a competition between the two plants for nourishment. I have no doubt that their roots will intertwine... but hopefully not to detriment (I imagine this happens in the wild all the time). They are both Russian Oxheart 117.

I did an experiment, where one side has 3 microfiber cloth strips as an additional water wick. One piece reaches the surface and it remains wet -- it is definitely acting as a wick! It'll be interesting to see if this gives a growth advantage over the other plant.

The tomato plant in the terracotta colored container is a Black Krim.

Two Russian Oxheart plants in single container.

I'm still working on the support structure. I'm going to lash the 4 outer posts to the container corners for added rigidity. I'm also thinking I might rig some weighted cord to hang from the top and coax the main stem to wind around it. I've seen people do this on more elaborate cage setups and it looked to work extremely well.

Last edited by cythaenopsis; June 12, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
cythaenopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Houston!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #3
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

looks good. i never had luck with tomatoes in containers but looks like your options are limited. never heard of your variety of tomatoe. i always used a 'patio' type variety. always got some nice tomatoes but not nearly as many or as tasty as ones grown in the ground.
use to live in hoboken during my college days at stevens before they renivated the town into what it is today.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #4
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I think you will do great. I grow tomatoes in Earthbox self watering containers. I put 3 plants in a container and easily out-grow neighbors who plant conventional in-ground gardens. This year I am doing 22 varieties of tomatoes in 12 Earthboxes, only one is a compact patio type. This is Wisconsin, where all we have had is temperatures in the 50s and 60s and lots of rain. This first picture is from last year, second is so far this year (since Mother's day).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (425.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (471.1 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by Balr14; June 13, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #5
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

they look good
never was able to get mine that healthy looking
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2014   #6
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Looking good Houston!

Linda
Thanks, Linda. A few days later and looks like the plants found their niche, started another burst of growth and a few flowers are there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramapojoe View Post
looks good. i never had luck with tomatoes in containers but looks like your options are limited. never heard of your variety of tomatoe. i always used a 'patio' type variety. always got some nice tomatoes but not nearly as many or as tasty as ones grown in the ground.
use to live in hoboken during my college days at stevens before they renivated the town into what it is today.
Hey Joe, I had reasonably good luck last year but a little under average due to my limited understanding then. I used only potting mix this time (not top soil) and mixed in Jobe's fertilizer at the get-go. Also mixed in pulverized eggshells for time release calcium. This year the difference is notable. I'm actually in Weehawken, but I say Hoboken because it's far more popular. Stevens is very well respected. Hoboken is now like a mini borough of Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I think you will do great. I grow tomatoes in Earthbox self watering containers. I put 3 plants in a container and easily out-grow neighbors who plant conventional in-ground gardens. This year I am doing 22 varieties of tomatoes in 12 Earthboxes, only one is a compact patio type. This is Wisconsin, where all we have had is temperatures in the 50s and 60s and lots of rain. This first picture is from last year, second is so far this year (since Mother's day).
Thanks! Yes, a friend of mine did Earthboxes last year. Amazing growth but alas, he couldn't devote the time to prune and maintain and was inundated with BER. Sub irrigation is the way to go, be it commercial product or DIY. I am doing all sub irrigated, with one pot from last year and then 3 self-made. Great weather in our neck of the woods is helping tremendously. I'm doing better having started from seed than I did last year with 12" seedlings.